No rain in sight--a good thing
this time of year--as leaves sprinkle,
dust whirls in circles, and farmers feed
the world by labor in its season.

dennis20

Back to top Go down

"Invite me in" says Capt Hypocrite

Post  tsukany on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Dennis.  I know that I am the worst at invitations.  My poetry is unfriendly at best.  Sorry.

I got stuck with "Fuchsin"  I had to go look it up.  Is "fuchsin" better than an image?  (Sorry I have been in sessions with Tania Runyan...wow!)  I like the music of "smell . . . knell"  My first read I thought two things:  "farmers" is repeated and so is "dust" and neither of those seems to be he focus of the poem.  I was expecting the comparison of "you thought this was a bad thing, but it's good" to continue through the poem.

Hope I'm helpful this month.
tsukany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The first word made me stumble and

Post  Pat on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:13 am

sent me to the dictionary instead of to the poem.  Maybe magenta would have taken care of me and been an opposite to black on black gum.  I never see robins in September.  Glad somebody does.   Robins here in Spring.  I had no idea where they went in in September.   I get the dry month. . . . dust, choke, knell. . . .  prelude to dying.   My phlox are shedding blooms too.   Curling moon:  nice.  Do soybeans and fallen leaves go together.  I usually see a field of soybeans, farmers harvesting, dust.  No trees.  I get that they work from dawn to dusk.   Yep, that's what they do in N E Ark anyway.  I know that means you'd give up fall/ tall rhyme.  And what if you said, "....as leaves sprinkle whirling and twirling. . . " We know it's a circle.  You might entertain,  "and farmers feed the world."

Your poem.  It takes me back to Jonesboro and the surrounding N E Ark counties.  I lived there for 30 years or so.  These images are so common in that part of the state.   Farmers want to get the crop out of the field.  They have months and money tied up in it.  So on they go.   You captured that.  At that point, they do not even want rain.  : )

Pat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

No Rain... A Good Thing

Post  Dewell H. Byrd on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:28 am

Familiar images... reminds me of farmers in CA Central Valley especially when hay is on the ground.
I suggest you stick with farmers and rain reducing that pile of adjectives and other subjects to about
three lines.. maybe four.  My favorite... geese overhead... are absent.
First word was familiar to me because Elsa used to grow hundreds of fuchsia plants and sell them
at the county fair to fund the garden club.
The poem just has too many subjects in it ... Try sticking with FALL, RAIN, FARMERS reducing the over emphasis
on fall.  Bright Images!  Dewell

Dewell H. Byrd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there too many pictures for autumn?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum