The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

Todd's Poem. Trying a new approach.

tsukany

Todd's Poem. Trying a new approach.

Post  tsukany on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:22 pm

DRIVE SOUTH OF SPRINGFIELD

Ancient Ozark hills are brilliant green;
    cattle graze along tree lines cut into the forest.

A young man presses a shirt.
    She rolls her hair and freshens a skirt.

An ancient tango slowly continues between
    the line of drilled-and-blasted limestone.

The couple drives the road outside Branson
    where red brush on the mounds looks like zits.

--Sukany 31 Oct 2011

Pat

Drive South of Springfield

Post  Pat on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:26 am

Title: clear about where you are going.

S 1 - so what you see, we see. I like the first word: ancient. Says a lot. You might tighten the first line with a comma instead of the to-be word, maybe: hills, a brilliant green or an emerald green, whatever you want us to see.

S 2 - young being opposite of ancient. Nice touch. Wondering exactly what freshens a skirt means. I'm thinking she is straightening it out with her hands. Is that right. I like the he. . . . she. . . .

S 3 - ancient again. . . . i'm wondering if old might work better. Old for the sounds to go with slow and tango. And it would take nothing away from ancient Ozark hills. I can see the drilled and blasted limestone. So familiar.

S 4 - and, of course, you caught me by playful surprise: I didn't expect zits. : ) Your humor came through. . . . Everything is pretty much through the eyes of the norm until then. Then, wham: a new way to see the mounds with sumac bushes: they are zits!!!! I had to laugh. Playful and descriptive.

Enjoyed reading it. . . . Pat
    tsukany

Thanks Pat

Post  tsukany on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 am

S 3...YES. and "old" sounds nice with Ozarks

Sponsored content

Re: Todd's Poem. Trying a new approach.

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 am