the identity of its owner or
the items that separate pages.

Todd Sukany 15 Feb 2016
tsukany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this just a story in stanzas?

Post  Karen on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:34 pm

I don’t find fault with a story told this way.

I loved getting a glimpse of the poet’s emotion in the last stanza.  And what an ending!  I wouldn’t change anything about the poem.

Okay, I questioned the title.  Then I got out my Williams-Sonoma kitchen scale and weighed the slim white leatherette Bible I carried as a girl.  Just over a pound. 

Title stands.

Karen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Losing weight

Post  Dennis 20 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Todd,  I like the picture here and can follow the progression.  I was looking for more out of the title. I can only assume you meant it as a description of the bible, but am not sure. 
"The Weight of Words"

I am a little confused with the way you go from the picture I get where you say "your bible" in the first stanza to where you are TELLING me "I am reading from my grandfather's bible'' in the last stanza. It seems you are talking to your grandfather, maybe, and then it changes to me or whoever the reader might be. Consistancy?  I'm not sure if that is meant to be in italics which would throw a different light on it. I can't tell with the black background.  Good poem.

Dennis 20

Back to top Go down

I hear it as a narrative poem.

Post  Pat on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:48 pm

There is a story, but not until you describe the Bible.  Narrative poetry can be powerful. I am not fond of the title:  it adds very little and who cares how much it weighs?  It would mean more if it was PapPaw's Bible  or  Grandfather's Bible to me. : ) Then, we'd know what's coming too.  Actually the first line could be the title.  In S 1, I see the Bible.  Good.  S 2:  I like how you used "not". Repetition, holding it together.  So in S 1, we see what we have;  S 2, what we don't have.  Easy to follow too.  I'm good with those two Stanzas.   But then, the prose begins.  Stanza 1:  your bible, so in Stanza 3 you could claim it as something that is YOURS.  My way of claiming my legacy:  I open the book to Psalms 23 (just grabbed that out of nowhere) and open my mouth:  The Lord is my Shepherd. . .  show us what you are doing?  The rest will click in because we know it is your Grandfather's bible.  I'd just describe your doings with it.  Maybe use some alliteration or assonance.  Thanks for sharing.

Pat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THREE POUNDS

Post  Dewell H. Byrd on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:55 am

I love narrative poems... I'm basically a story-teller with my work... and your poem suits me just fine.  That title, "...Three Pounds..." doesn't seem to help the story...
I find a GREAT MYSTERY opportunity in this poem... What lies between the pages??  The life-time
collections of Grandpa...
I like the poem as is and would love to see a companion piece that deals with the mystery!
I appreciate the emotional overtones in this poem.  Dewell

Dewell H. Byrd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this just a story in stanzas?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top