The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

5 posters

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better

Ben Johnson

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Is the emotion visible--what can make it better

Post  Ben Johnson Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:44 pm

I can't seem to get on under Dennis acct. so I am using this one.
    My Pets

Happiness is a puppy
    that leaps to lick my face.
    She will chase a stick
    and bark at me.
    Like autumn leaves
    that circle in the yard
    she is a flash of color
    in a whirlwind.

Grief is a tabby cat
    who arches her back
    like winter wind.
    Her snowy fur
    and slanted eyes
    bring icy chills
    that bite against
    my skin.
    renee.barger
    renee.barger

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Reply from Renee

Post  renee.barger Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:50 am

I loved how you related happiness to a puppy and grief to a tabby cat. I don't know if it was just me, but I was thrown off when I read the line, "Like autumn leaves" because I thought it was a second complete image at first. I had to get down 2 more lines to realize you were still talking about the puppy. I didn't have any issues in the second stanza. Loved it.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Showing?

Post  tsukany Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 am

Dearest Ben/Dennis2012,

I wonder if you can show the emotions (happiness and grief) rather than tell the reader.  "Grief" takes me to death.

I wonder if you can start stanza one with the simile?  and then impose that as a "form" for stanza two?

Todd/Thor
    Dewell H. Byrd

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty My Pets.... etc

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Ben, you need ten characters in the title to get in. 
    In your search for more emotion in your poem... how about more show and less tail? (pun)
    I get a good feel for the puppy but the cat seems purrless... almost not there for me.  Cats and dogs are so much a part of our culture that people stop to read about them just because they are there... I think.
    Nice to have you aboard.  Dewell
    Karen
    Karen

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Re: Is the emotion visible--what can make it better

Post  Karen Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:34 pm

"I like this juxtaposition," she said.  She then proceeded to gripe about everything else.

I want a different title.  This one doesn't jump out of the table of contents and make me turn to the page.

I want more of a mirror image in the two stanzas.  I want your use of language to parallel.  I agree with Todd - create your form.  Unlike Dewell, I was okay with purrlessness (hmm?) of the cat.  I got the iciness.

I want, I want, I want.

I don't intend to be a fussbudget, Ben, but DANG, you're right close to making me happy.  I want this poem leaner and tighter.
    Ben Johnson

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty something for everybody

Post  Ben Johnson Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Rewrite from insight

Painted Ladies

Happiness leaps
    to lick my face.
    She will chase a stick
    and bark at me.
    She circles the yard
    like autumn leaves
    and is a flash of colors
    in a whirlwind.

Grief arches her back
    like winter wind.
    Snowy fur and slanted eyes
    bring icy chills
    that bite against
    my skin.
    The twitching tail,
    a selfish barb
    that promotes regret.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Trying again

Post  tsukany Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 am

The formatting went CRAZY!  Hope this one is better.

Dennis

The revision [Painted Ladies . . . an allusion to the ancient profession?] cuts the cat out of the second stanza, "she" becomes a continuation of stanza one.

Could the names of the pets replace "happiness" and "grief"?

Here's a sample of what I suggested in my first post (with the original test)

My Pets

Like autumn leaves
    that circle in the yard
    Betty is a flash of color
    in a whirlwind.
    Happiness is a puppy
    that leaps to lick my face.
    She will chase a stick
    and bark at me.

like winter wind.
    who arches her back
    Grief is a tabby cat
    Her snowy fur
    and slanted eyes
    bring icy chills
    that bite against
    my skin.

Ben Johnson
    tsukany
    tsukany

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty technology is evil today

Post  tsukany Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:46 am

Dennis

I meant "text" not "test"

Somewhere in cyber hell is my note about how much I like the additions to the last stanza of "Painted Ladies." 

I wonder if I had other things to say that were deleted by the cyber bullies?

Todd
    Pat

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty One more opinion worth less than a nickel.

Post  Pat Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:36 pm

I think you have two poems.   I'd call the first poem Happiness, then get to specifics about the dog.  Maybe let the first line be:  is a puppy. . . I would keep it in present tense:  chases. . .  Instead of is (a linking verb), could you say "flashes" auburn colors. . . .?  Something to strengthen the verb.  I like the nouns at the end of lines.  Interesting that you chose grief rather than sad to contrast with happiness.  I also like the short poems.  Other thoughts I had with this first stanza:   catching, pursuing happiness, chasing.  Gosh, it can go on and on.  How it can just appear out of nowhere.
    renee.barger
    renee.barger

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Response for the rewrite

Post  renee.barger Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:35 pm

I loved the rewrite. I don't think it needs to be two poems. If you did split it, I think I would miss the contrast between the two stanzas. The one thing that made me pause was why does the dog have a name but the cat does not?

Sponsored content

Is the emotion visible--what can make it better Empty Re: Is the emotion visible--what can make it better

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am