The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem. Anything will be helpful.

Pat

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem. Anything will be helpful.

Post  Pat Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 am

Old Notes Made New

Not long before the train roars down the track

across the river from our house, I lie in bed

and listen to old notes made new by a bird

dressed in a red sports jacket like the lively

evangelist who once spoke of a narrow road

when I was a young girl. Like then, I do not

raise questions. I do not reply.

I stay mute and do not move.

But I am not a limp listener.

Within the new notes eons old

lives a bold truth: it calls me back

to a picture of light of which I am a ray.

May the bird crack morning after morning—

fall, winter, spring and summer—

until the moon falls out of the sky.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty The Preachment

Post  tsukany Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

Here's the preachment:

Within the new notes eons old

lives a bold truth: it calls me back

to a picture of light of which I am a ray.

If you clip that, you should merge the bird into the persona. I think you get close with the last stanza. what think ye?
    Dennis20

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty The preachdictment

Post  Dennis20 Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:38 am

Pat,  I think Todd has hit the nail on the head.  You go into telling us here instead of showing.  The birds fold that back in to the thought.  It's kinda like you have cut yourself with the "eons..." and then the birds are a bandaid that covers the wound. 
    Pat

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty Yep, I think you guys are right. . . .

Post  Pat Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:01 pm

The good news: I can fix it. And I need you to keep an eye on my endings: I tend to add just a bit too much. thanks for the help, Pat
    robinaburrows

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty Feedback on your poem

Post  robinaburrows Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Good poem. I don't think I have anything new to add to fix it.

I like that it's the bird's song that moves the narrator of the poem.

Robin
    Dewell H. Byrd

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty Pat's Sermon... poem

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 pm

I think the "fixers" have fixed it rather well. I can see the strut of that preacher of childhood days. Pat, the ending seems to step out of character and get preachey... can you change it back to the I of the poem and take away that hymnal tone?

(When I was a Young Byrd I taught Sunday School to preteens. Gad, I do hope they learned more than I taught!) Dewell

Sponsored content

Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem.  Anything will be helpful.   Empty Re: Trying to get the preachy and moralizing out of the poem. Anything will be helpful.

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm