The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

2 posters

"Walking" I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines. I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing. :(

tsukany
    tsukany

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty "Walking" I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines. I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing. :(

Post  tsukany Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Walking

Across this sea of blades that is my lawn
    the tiniest oasis of red catches my eye.
    I think there must be a poem in that
    and try to remember the details while

I feed the neighbor’s cat. His food bowl,
    a terra cotta plant tray, swims in its own ocean
    of ant-repelling water, that seems to have seeped
    through the side and is growing mold.

This must be cleansed or my neighbor will think me more
    irresponsible
    than our years of neighboring have proved. And now I notice
    the crepe myrtle,
    Dynamite I believe,
    exploding on the south side of the house,
    looking more like bloodied popcorn
    surrounded by horns of mercy. I remain grateful
    to see the bowl cleansed, the Sunday papers stashed,
    and the tomatoes
    ripening on the vine, not quite as stirring
    as the flowers.
    tsukany
    tsukany

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Graphic Version

Post  tsukany Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:31 am

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Walking

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Re: Walking

Post  Guest Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:32 am

Since this occurs on a Sunday, this reader has the feeling that the walk has a redemptive quality. You asked about the sounds and you want to maintain your indents and spacing. S3 Line 2 would "careless" work for you in place of irresponsible? It picks up the sound of "cleansed" and "crepe myrtle" better.

I like the use of italics to draw the reader's attention to "Dynamite" as compared to the sudden flash of insight a poet gains from a particular moment. This dynamite moment is foreshadowed by "there must be a poem in that." (also italicized.)

In addition, I learned about the dynamite variety of crepe myrtle which is also spelled "crape myrtle" according to google. It is an explosion of red.

Last edited by Cindy on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tsukany
    tsukany

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Thanks Cindy

Post  tsukany Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the super suggestions. I will fix it on my computer copies. Good call on the crepe...I don't want to eat the plants. Smile
    tsukany
    tsukany

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty hi Pat

Post  tsukany Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Pat

I am talking to you right now.

Todd
    Pat

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Walking

Post  Pat Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:11 pm

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty "Walking" I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines. I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing. Sad
    "Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty tsukany on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Walking

Across this sea of blades that is my lawn
    the tiniest oasis of red catches my eye.
    and try to remember the details while

a terra cotta plant tray, swims in its own ocean
    of ant-repelling water, that seems to have seeped
    through the side and is growing mold.

This must be cleansed or my neighbor will think me more
    irresponsible
    than our years of neighboring have proved. And now I notice
    the crepe myrtle,
    Dynamite I believe,
    surrounded by horns of mercy. I remain grateful
    to see the bowl cleansed, the Sunday papers stashed,
    and the tomatoes
    as the flowers.

Interesting poem. . .more to come. Pat
    Pat

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Wrote within your poem. Pat

Post  Pat Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Across this sea of blades that is my lawn I like sea of blades; I'd drop that is. .. maybe use punctuation: --my lawn--
    the tiniest oasis of red catches my eye. a tiny would take care of it, me thinks.
    and try to remember the details while what does try mean here: struggle? I'd get more particular

a terra cotta plant tray, swims in its own ocean (I like the repetition of ocean in this stanza.)
    of ant-repelling water, that seems to have seeped seems seems to make it lame/ how about that seeped. . .
    through the side and is growing mold. and grows mold. Assonance. . . I like.

This must be cleansed or my neighbor will think me more okay, cleansed took me by surprise. Formal. Deeper.
    irresponsible telling word here; hmmm. maybe describe or metaphor ?
    than our years of neighboring have proved. And now I notice here you are again: have proved. Formal, like another voice. Can you consider a different word for notice? Maybe a word with more umph?
    the crepe myrtle,
    Dynamite I believe, I believe or I see and believe?
    surrounded by horns of mercy. I remain grateful Okay, I'm seeing the symbolism: blood, horns of mercy, like Jesus on a cross. It's a boom thing? An awakening? An ah ha? Am I close or am I making all this up? I don't like grateful by itself. May need metaphor to tell it not be telling.
    to see the bowl cleansed, the Sunday papers stashed, I'm definitely thinking salvation now. . . Sunday. . . .
    and the tomatoes
    as the flowers.I think of crepe mrtyles as having blooms, not flowers. To me, flowers grow out of pots and ground; blooms can be either on shrubs or plants. Please take what you like and leave the rest. . . . i get soooo wordy. It was fun though. Now, I will hit send. Hope this thing works again. Pat
    tsukany
    tsukany

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Thanks Pat

Post  tsukany Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Welcome to the group!

Sponsored content

"Walking"  I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines.  I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing.  :( Empty Re: "Walking" I am still thinking about the sounds of the words in the lines. I need to find a way to preserve my indents and spacing. :(

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm