The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

Comments welcomed

dennis20

Comments welcomed Empty Comments welcomed

Post  dennis20 Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:43 am

does the poem go with the title? Any other comments welcomed. Sorry, I'm late.

Ingenuity

A wayward crow

carrying a crust

of bread flew

into my yard,

to the birdbath,

and dropped it

into the water, then

swiped his beak

against the bread

moving it back

and forth, cautiously

watching the yard

for any movement

of danger.  When

the bread was wet

he pecked off

bite after bite

until it was eaten

and flew away

caroling

the neighborhood.

tsukany
    tsukany

Comments welcomed Empty Clear image

Post  tsukany Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Dennis...I like the clarity of image. Two places stop me: until it was eaten (gone) and caroling. Seems like crows do more than that. Glad you have posted...I missed hearing from you.
    Pat

Comments welcomed Empty Glad you posted, late, early or on-time. . . .

Post  Pat Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm thinking about crows. Okay, I don't think about them that much. However, I see them all the time where I live. What do they commonly do that gets my attention: they caw like gossipy women, always crying yaw,yaw, yaw. I don't think of them as caroling. They fill the air with violent sounds at times? They seem ambivalent to me. . . like not able to make up their minds. Do they circle always or sometimes? They seem over-sized. They circle and land. . . tattered feathers sometimes. They are soooo black. Are they messengers or do they warn? I'm not sure. But they have the greatest freedom. I think they swoop and hop and peck. It might add interest if she/he ? were doing more than eating bread, something like getting rid of a corpse? I'm laughing that I even wrote that down. (My husband calls them and turkey vultures environmentalists, trash pickup, etc.) Eating: might he be an empty bird stuffing his belly? Maybe he could drop a feather? Sometimes they are social in flocks, but yours could be a cad, a rogue crow? Remember, we have the liberty to embellish what we see. Yours seems to be an unhurried bird. I think you have the basic poem here. I'd just check verbs (making them as powerful as you can) and I'd add one or two more things for the reader.
    Dewell H. Byrd

Comments welcomed Empty Dennis's Comments Wanted

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:34 pm

Dennis, I like the title and especiallythe subject... crows are a puzzlement to me. ..I agree with Pat's pecking, not eating, comment... You know, crows sometimes leave a gift after eating... I can see it moving the bread, examining it... They do make a feeding sound... The caroling seems out of place... When full they have a strut, assumed authority, not unlike a midwife or a mortician...

Remember the old saying... "Kill a crow and 30 will come to the funeral?" Dewell
    dennis20

Comments welcomed Empty add a comment

Post  dennis20 Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 pm

sorry I didn't embelish on what I observed. I thought he acted with intelligence in dipping the bread in the water to soften it so it was edible, hence the title.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Comments welcomed Empty I got it

Post  tsukany Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 am

Dennis...I found the "ingenuity" inside the poem too. I like 'em clear in image. I think your title fits the poem well.

Sponsored content

Comments welcomed Empty Re: Comments welcomed

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm