The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

Help appreciated. Whatever hits you.

Pat

Help appreciated.  Whatever hits you.  Empty Help appreciated. Whatever hits you.

Post  Pat Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:22 pm

After Dark in Fresh Snow

Boys and girls laugh,
    gloves scoop, boots grind
    making a new music.

Much strumming
    under a fat old moon.

Then comes the throwing
    of stinging snowballs and words.

No hearts shatter.
    No bones break.

What stays strong still
    are the wing-beats drumming
    and dotting the sky.

Last edited by Pat on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct stanzas and delete a line)
    tsukany
    tsukany

Help appreciated.  Whatever hits you.  Empty Nice Pat

Post  tsukany Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:36 pm

No "I" in this offering.  Well done.

I offer this:

Make Stanza two the first
    (Maybe) drop the third line of the current first stanza
    Cut "still" from the last stanza
    Offer a "music" word for "dotting" or add "staff line" imagery to a stanza above.

I like it
    Dewell H. Byrd

Help appreciated.  Whatever hits you.  Empty Pat's Snowy Poem

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:17 pm

I would opp to reverse stanzas one and two.  And also to add a musical term in the last line.  This is a "shortie" poem compared to your previous offerings and it sits well for me.  I enjoy the crunch under boot and it carries on to the snowball making... or is that just my childhood memory?  Nicely done, Pat.  Dewell
    Pat

Help appreciated.  Whatever hits you.  Empty And just so you guys know,

Post  Pat Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm

it was not easy, keeping the I out of it.  : )  I think it all comes from counseling:  pushing people to focus on their feelings and naming them.  Not blaming others and owning responsibility.  So I have had to learn to show (not tell) and hard for me to keep the I silent.   You are helping me. .  .  and I thank you.  It has been a good year to learn with you.
    dennis20

Help appreciated.  Whatever hits you.  Empty in snow after dark

Post  dennis20 Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 am

Pat,  I like the pic! I echo the "second stanza first" thought since the title sets up that pic. I would like to see a better word than fat to describe moon.  Maybe, hazy, lazy, even bright seems more descriptive than fat.  I agree also with dropping "still".  I note that you have used strumming and drumming which are musical terms and another musical term for the sky would be in order. I don't have any suggestions as to what would be a good sound word that would fit there, though. Wait! what about "dancing across the sky" since that is something we could associate with the music pic. You have done good with a "shortie" and no "I". Dennis  Happy New Year

Sponsored content

Help appreciated.  Whatever hits you.  Empty Re: Help appreciated. Whatever hits you.

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm