The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

After The Rain

Dewell H. Byrd

After The Rain Empty After The Rain

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:51 am

After The Rain... I think this elusive poem, still lumpy, needs the critical eye of Last Friday Folk.  It is almost musical in places then jumps the track in others.  Puncuation is also inconsistent...I do like the images. I welcome all suggestions.  Dewell

AFTER THE RAIN

Silence

hangs pale

over the garden.

Damp, fresh, clean

earth drinks its fill, sighs.

Picket fence releases prayers of vapor.

Rainbows

embrace the sky

lush with early omen.

Clouds

of starlings skitter about, glean.

Wind and light tease each other.

Earth

holds its breath

for a milli-second.

Grandma taps an egg

on the rim of the mixing bowl,

waits for the miracle to slip out.

-Dewell H. Byrd
    dennis20

After The Rain Empty Gathering Clouds

Post  dennis20 Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Dewell,  Nice rainy weather poem.  We could use it here and there is hope.  I like the clean fresh smell that isn't mentioned but is here all the same. And the prayers of vapor was so poetic.  The picture is full of things you would experience after the shower, except for Grandma and the egg.  I see that as a Haiku and not meant for this poem. Nothing in the picture leads me in that direction.   Maybe you could mention late afternoon as "pale" might picture or it does to me.  You might move the word "Damp" on a line by itself since the other strophes appear to have a word they follow and define.  By that, I mean you have: Silence, rainbows, clouds, earth, so why not put "damp" on a line above the other lines.  Hope that helps.  Dennis
    tsukany
    tsukany

After The Rain Empty Posting thoughts and then reading Dennis' comments (dangerous Todd)

Post  tsukany Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:01 am

AFTER THE RAIN

Silence
    hangs pale 
    over the garden. (the tone is not overly hopeful)

Earth
    holds its breath
    for a milli-second.

Damp, fresh, clean
    earth drinks its fill, sighs. (The grammar suggests that the three adjectives modify "earth)
    Picket fence releases prayers of vapor. (I wonder if this should be a simile..."like vapor)

Rainbows
    embrace the sky (I am thrown by "embrace" seems a contrast in tone with "omen")
    lush with early omen.

Clouds 
    of starlings skitter about, glean.
    Wind and light tease each other. (this line leaves birds; maybe put it in another place in the poem?)

Grandma taps an egg
    on the rim of the mixing bowl,
    waits for the miracle to slip out.

-Dewell H. Byrd
    Pat

After The Rain Empty Looks like a poem with a special form. . . .

Post  Pat Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 pm

and I like it. Just stay with a form. Maybe Put a noun as the first line of the stanza, then maybe a verb, third line could be a metaphor. For example: Silence/ hangs pale/ over the garden like fog. Each stanza could be a complete thought. I would stay with nature throughout. I'd be sure I had all the senses covered: smell, sight, sounds, taste, etc. Maybe rainbows bloom in the sky?
    I'd drop the last stanza. Title works for me. Earth has a pungent smell after a good rain. Nice.

Sponsored content

After The Rain Empty Re: After The Rain

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 pm