The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement)

Dewell H. Byrd

RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement) Empty RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement)

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Can't seem to get line three to snuggle into this poem.  I've tried a variety of lines that now rest on the menden.  HELP.

RHYTHMS

dawn colors break

on wide open horizon

(I don’t know what goes here.)

I squish new footprints

waves loving the land

the ocean’s heartbeat

the sound I heard

as an embryo

arriving on fresh wavelets

a sand dollar shell

with patterns like

sunrise on the sea

-Dewell H. Byrd
    Pat

RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement) Empty Responding to Rhythms

Post  Pat Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 am

Okay, here's what I have for you:

I read and reread it:
    line 3 might be your state of being since the next line begins with I (which I have no problem with.)
    questioning nothing /or my heart content. . . . something like that?
    I played with 2nd stanza line 1: waves fingering (or caressing) the land? I was thinking you could say what you are doing, what the waves are doing, drawing the two together since you put yourself in the poem anyway. . . . you making a rhythm, ocean making a rhythm.
    Still on stanza 2: what is the sound? Can you name it? same ta-tum heard/ (just thoughts)
    I think I got distracted with "arriving on". Do you need that? Can you just drop it?
    Dewell, I LOVE the opening and closing. Super!
    You are reflecting and catching the moments on the lines in between.
    I love the sound of the waves too. . . mesmerizing for me. Maybe it does all go back to the embryo stage. : ) Nice thought. Maybe that sound got trapped inside of us. So many of us in land-locked states love to go to the ocean now and then. Restful and peaceful. Some never get in the water. Just lie beside the ocean. Body imprints perhaps. I love thinking of it this way. Thank you.

tsukany
    tsukany

RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement) Empty Line Three

Post  tsukany Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:17 am

Dewell

Line three can be a "Kooser" detail that focuses the setting.  Laguna, Virginia, Hawaii, Normandy....

Does anyone actually remember being an embryo?  That line is a stretch for me.
    dennis20

RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement) Empty Early at the beach

Post  dennis20 Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Dewell,  Here is a thought that might enchance the color idea from your first line. Maybe one of these would work or give you an idea for one.  Good pictures in this one.

dawn colors break
    on wide open horizon,

misty prisms

mist into prisms

prisms from mist

Sponsored content

RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement) Empty Re: RHYTHMS (and line 3 puzzlement)

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 am