The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

meaning and syllables

Pat

meaning and syllables Empty meaning and syllables

Post  Pat Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:13 pm

a secret message

came through the still-life
    of rounded apples
    in the green fruit bowl:
    a tiny dark spot
    on one red beauty

the painter knew life
    was temporary

so sure, he painted
    a speck of black rot
    on ripe and seamless
    skin
    dennis20

meaning and syllables Empty The age of plastic fruit--with dust on it, of course

Post  dennis20 Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Pat,  Beautifully done!  You have strained so hard to get 5 feet in each line. I like it.  I would like to see two things. First, start with a capital letter.  I think a written thought deserves--rather demands it.  It shows respect for the work put into the thought.  Second, since you decided to live by the foot I feel you must die by the foot. This means do something with the ending. If you had started with a single syllable line it would be okay to end with one. You didn't. You were so careful to show us great ability in presenting a thought as well as a form. You even asked for it in your subject line.  Finish it. Something like "on smooth ripened skin"
    dennis20

meaning and syllables Empty open mouth insert foot

Post  dennis20 Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Pat, I said foot and I meant syllable. 5 syllables per line is what you used except in the last line.  Got too fast for my own good.  I smell the cookies. (private joke to those wondering what I mean.)
    tsukany
    tsukany

meaning and syllables Empty I like it

Post  tsukany Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:09 am

Pat

I like it.  I think you offer strong "tells" in the first and second stanzas; I'm not sure that is a bad thing.  It reduces the surprise of the ending.  I would send it out for publishing as is.  

I am wondering if the title is true, though.  The artist kept the secret for the viewer to discover.  The poet "gossiped."  Smile
    Dewell H. Byrd

meaning and syllables Empty Meaning and syllll...

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Pat, my computer presents your poem in black script on a black background... I can't read it!
    If you will send me your poem inside an email I'll critique it for you.  Sorry.  I can't figure this out.  Other's poems show as white script on black background.  Go figure?
     Thanks, Dewell.
    tsukany
    tsukany

meaning and syllables Empty My change

Post  tsukany Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:16 pm

a secret message

came through the still-life
    of rounded apples
    in the green fruit bowl:
    a tiny dark spot
    on one red beauty

the painter knew life
    was temporary

so sure, he painted
    a speck of black rot
    on ripe and seamless
    skin
    Dewell H. Byrd

meaning and syllables Empty a secret message

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:24 pm

I like the lower case use in this quiet poem.  Poem doesn't get "loud" until second/third reading.
    My spouse has taken up painting and she finds little quirks in life previously unapparent.  The
    form you use is reader-friendly and I like your breaking the pattern with the last line... where else could you get such emphasis?  Images are clear, clean and specific... not much mystery until near poem's end.  Well done, Pat.  Thanks for sharing.  Dewell
    Karen
    Karen

meaning and syllables Empty Re: meaning and syllables

Post  Karen Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

I do like this image.  All of you keep me thinking.  Thank you for helping me change the way I observe.
    Pat

meaning and syllables Empty Thank you!

Post  Pat Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:38 am

I'm rereading your comments.  (grands are asleep)  Thank you.  Helpful and fun to hear.   You always make me think whether I change a word of the poem or not (which I usually do.  Smile  
    I'm going to try a test with this poem and see how it transfers.  Todd, I like the new look here.  Just ignore my pasting the poem again.  I just need to see if it works.  Thanks again for your input.

Sponsored content

meaning and syllables Empty Re: meaning and syllables

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:06 pm