The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

Reactions? Does this require more context to be interesting?

tsukany
    tsukany

Reactions?  Does this require more context to be interesting? Empty Reactions? Does this require more context to be interesting?

Post  tsukany Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:03 am

Meeting Saint Rose of Lima, When I was Fifty-Seven

Sometimes I feel slighted,
    down-right cheated, that
    my religion considers all believers
    saints--pure and humble.  Hard to imagine

three hundred years into the future
    to see verse written, honoring
    the Patron Saint of Grammar
    and Bad Poetry, inspiring

young devotees to rub peppers
           on cheeks to cover handsomeness,
    to bathe in harsh soap, or to uncover
    terribly long sentences from centuries past

and search high and low
    for a superior large piece of paper
    on which to diagram them,
           (Heaven forbid) in ink.

--Todd Sukany 12 Oct 2015
    Karen
    Karen

Reactions?  Does this require more context to be interesting? Empty Re: Reactions? Does this require more context to be interesting?

Post  Karen Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:10 am

Oh no, this poem is quite interesting as it is.  I like it tremendously, Todd. 

"terribly long sentences from centuries past"

"a superior large piece of paper"

What I enjoy is seeing your imagination in play after considering a saint.  This is what I want in my own poetry, to observe, and then spin my observation in my psychic blender.  It entertains me in a way that doesn't require anyone else to validate it.  If someone else does validate it, I am thrilled.

Good one.
    Dennis 20

Reactions?  Does this require more context to be interesting? Empty Roses are violets aren't

Post  Dennis 20 Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:22 am

I am laughing because this is what my poems start out like before I critque.  I don't know why I am telling you guys this. When they come back from your eyes it seems like they still were like this!  I think this one can be put in the can.  It is done.  This is the longest poem I can ever remember you writing and you have written it for effect.  Not only does it say it, it shows it. Well done.
    Pat

Reactions?  Does this require more context to be interesting? Empty St. Rose

Post  Pat Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:38 pm

Maybe I need to apologize.  Because I know you like to play, I did not trust that this was a true saint.   Hmmmm.  I guess that says more about me than you.  Anyway, Todd, I looked up St. Rose of the Catholic Church.  Lots of St. Rose Churches!  : )   I laugh at myself.   Looks like they came into being around 1911?   Yep, hard to imagine St. Todd, St. Dennis, St. Dewell, St. Karen, St. Pat.   Well, I do know there's a St. Pat Church in Memphis (may be Irish.)   Anyway, I too am from such a faith.  We are saints by belief.  It is hard to accept, isn't it.  I love the direction you took the poem.  It is hilarious!  Highly interesting, as it is.  Stanza 2, line 2:  I wondered if it wouldn't help if you dropped to see and wrote:  verse will be written honoring/.... and why indent S 3, line 2 and S 4, last line?   Curious.  I love all the examples of what's to come, just commenting on the indent.  Great poem.   I like all the imagined specifics.  Thank you!
    Dewell H. Byrd

Reactions?  Does this require more context to be interesting? Empty TODD SAINT ROSE

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:34 pm

I like the simple straight forward beginning followed by the elongated near trivia to prove the point.  And pity poor students of the future diagramming anything!

Well done.  Poem is complete for me.  Dewell

Sponsored content

Reactions?  Does this require more context to be interesting? Empty Re: Reactions? Does this require more context to be interesting?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:28 am