The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

Is there enough info for a comparison?

Dennis 20

Is there enough info for a comparison? Empty Is there enough info for a comparison?

Post  Dennis 20 Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:28 am

Is there two sustainable pictures with parallel thoughts here?

Gravity Happens
    The bottle flew in an arc,
    rolled on its axis, evened out by yaw.
    At the apex, sunlight in the residue
    glistened in silence.

The flight, smooth as lifting fog,
    seemed endless. Gravity happens.
    The moment of truth. The crashed.
    The sun-shattered halo.

He walked up the steps, knocked, stepped in,
    picked up the last bag. Tears blurred his eyes,
    welled on his cheek, rolled toward the lump
    that was rock hard in his throat.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Is there enough info for a comparison? Empty Chronology again

Post  tsukany Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:48 am

Dennis

I really like the last stanza.  It is powerful.

The first is full of abstraction and as the introduction to the poem, it kinda bars the intro as a friendly invitation.

I wonder if the title will survive a more "concrete" image as intro.

I look forward to others' responses.
    Karen
    Karen

Is there enough info for a comparison? Empty Re: Is there enough info for a comparison?

Post  Karen Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Dennis, I second Todd’s opinion.  A measure of the concrete in the first image would balance the comparison.  I would also like a stronger understanding of the relationship between the two images.  I’m a little lost as to whether they have a relationship other than a metaphorical one.

I wasn’t sure if “The crashed” was meant to be “Then crashed.”

I would keep the last stanza as it is.  It’s a good one.
    Pat

Is there enough info for a comparison? Empty Gravity falls.

Post  Pat Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Struggling to stay on-line.  

Here is the short version:   I think the title is misleading.   I am guessing as to what is going on.  Not sure.  Maybe the title needs to be Divorce Happens or Marriages Break UP.

Then S 1 can be scientific and tell us the bottle is flung into the air.  Then the bottle comes down with a crash.  The third stanza says big stuff, more than drinking, more than broken bottle. 

I think we NEED a different title.  One that will appeal to  everyone.  A scientific title is a turn-off for me.  I won't read it.  But that may just be me.
    Dewell H. Byrd

Is there enough info for a comparison? Empty GRAVITY HAPPENS

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:42 am

Yes, the parallelism is possible... close... I look for a hint in the first part to a failing relationship and the gravity happens is not enough to bridge that gap for me.  I especially like "...smooth as lifting (rising) fog" and "...rock hard in his throat..."  Last stanza is your power house!  Keep it as is.  There is no hint of children in this poem but my thoughts keep seeing a child's toy on the step... grandpa Dewell, I guess.  Good work, Dennis.

Sponsored content

Is there enough info for a comparison? Empty Re: Is there enough info for a comparison?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:07 pm