The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

ASTER...(DRAFT)

Dewell H. Byrd

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty ASTER...(DRAFT)

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Looking for a simple, gentle poem that carries a plaintive message (Where is spellcheck when you need it?).... Not sure if the stanzas are in the best order... and anything else you note... Dewell

ASTER

Blue
    As a Parish sky
    Nodding

In a gentle breeze
    Damp with memory of
    The s0ft night

Weathered
    Stem and leaves fight
    Careless traffic

Roots
    Cling to sparse
    Dirt, drought, storm

Home
    In the crack
    Of a broken concrete sidewalk

No one tells it where to grow.
    Why must they tell me where to
    Root, grow, bloom?

-Dewell H. Byrd
    Pat

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty Blue Aster Poem

Post  Pat Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 am

Dewell, I never see Parish and sky used together, so it grabbed me right off.  I trust that is a beautiful blue sky?  A wild aster?  For some reason I'd like to see weathered stem and leaves together and fight on a line by itself.  Could you say, "At home" instead of Home?  Dewell, I don't need the last stanza.  It changes the direction of the poem.  I like the reporting part on the Aster.  I wonder if I see wild asters alongside the highways here.  I think I do.  Powdered blue?  I'll be looking.  Thank you for sharing this sight.
    Dennis 20

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty I like the blues

Post  Dennis 20 Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:55 am

Dewell,  Great poem.  I like the way it drew blue to my mind's eye immediately. I don't know the color of a parish sky, but it has to be a beautiful blue to match the aster. I do note that the first two stanzas are a calm and peaceful picture while the last four are conflict.  Maybe not chaos, but conflict.  There are two pictures, the first of peace and beauty and the second of angst. It would be less so without the last stanza. That stanza does change the mindset from the flower to human conflict. I'm not saying take it out, just pointing out what I see. Good pictures here.
    tsukany
    tsukany

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty Line breaks

Post  tsukany Sun May 01, 2016 6:39 am

Dewell,  my experience with finding poems in the back of anthologies by title and first line would produce:  "'Aster' Blue."  Thus I lobby for new line breaks.

We discussed at Lucidity why free verse poets who don't use punctuation retain the question mark?  The State Critic of Ark believes that free verse should have full punctuation or none at all.

ASTER

Blue as a parish sky
    Nodding in gentle breeze

Damp with the memory
    Of soft night

Weathered stem and leaves
    fight careless traffic

Roots cling to sparse
    Dirt, drought, storm  (Roots cling to a storm?)

At home in the crack
    Of a broken concrete sidewalk

Why must others tell me
    Where to root, grow, bloom
    Karen
    Karen

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty Re: ASTER...(DRAFT)

Post  Karen Sun May 01, 2016 10:00 am

I love the spare quality of this poem.  I lobby for adios to all punctuation and capitalization.  I would also bid farewell to most of the articles and some of the conjunctions and prepositions. 

A major haircut may necessitate some line break changes for clarity, but I think the poem would come out shining brighter.

Good poem, Dewell.
    tsukany
    tsukany

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty Karen

Post  tsukany Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 am

Sorry to hijack this post, but what would this poem look like with limited articles and conjunctions?

Sponsored content

ASTER...(DRAFT) Empty Re: ASTER...(DRAFT)

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 am