The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

5 posters

OMEN (I need six more letters.) )

Dewell H. Byrd

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty OMEN (I need six more letters.) )

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Nice to have some new blood, er... poets brave enough...  OMEN.  I'm considering dropping the last line... also the word "leap" seems too austere.  Do all those "ings" bother anyone?  All
    suggestions welcome.  Dewell

OMEN

North by north-east, alone
    honking
    scraping treetops

searching for the V
    lost
    instinct driven

Canada goose strains for
    altitude
    flutters, falls

recovers minus one flight
    feather
    destiny calling

I leap from my lounge
    eager
    to see, to help, to hope

my heart flutters, again
    quivering
    Is this my V

Dewell H. Byrd
    tsukany
    tsukany

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty Not much Help from me

Post  tsukany Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Dewell

I don't see much out of place.

I wonder if "alone" can be its own line?  Maybe move Canada Goose closer to the top of the poem.  It takes a while for the setting to settle.  I wonder if "losing a feather" can be easier to read than its current construction.

I wanted the ending of the poem to be a statement rather than a question.

See?  Not much help from me. 

Trusting others,

Todd
    renee.barger
    renee.barger

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty Reply from Renee

Post  renee.barger Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:30 am

Hi, Dewell

The "ings" did not bother me at all; I liked it actually.

I read through the poem without the 4th stanza, and I think (?) I got the same meaning. It felt like dead weight for me. I wanted it to jump from the goose fluttering falling to you jumping up wanting to help. I loved the line, "to see, to help, to hope."

Hope something in there is helpful for you. Smile

Renee
    Karen
    Karen

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty Re: OMEN (I need six more letters.) )

Post  Karen Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Renee and Todd have not left much work for me.  Like Todd, I am not bothered by the "ings".  I like the recurrence.  I too want "alone" on its own line.  I am in agreement with Renee about kissing stanza 4 goodbye, and preferring a statement to a question at the end.

I particularly liked the next-to-the-last stanza, which could so easily be fraught with peril - the poet arriving in person so suddenly.  It is the sort of thing that usually gives me pause, but it was the right pause for this poem.  I like the lack of punctuation.

Good one, Dewell.
    Ben Johnson

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty A cooked goose

Post  Ben Johnson Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Dewell,  Good poem. Not much to offer.  I do think it is only weighted by the last stanza.It is not a live or die thing either way.   I know how that feels when you have to cut something.  My mind's eye has some definite length for a poem and if I have to cut something I keep trying to add something somewhere else to make up the difference.  I try to keep reminding myself not to be married to words. Anyway, I like the picture here.  Dennis
    Pat

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty Not much left for me to say. . . .

Post  Pat Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 pm

They've about covered it.  I'm not fond of questions at the end, but it is in your head or you wouldn't jump up from your chair.  I have often questioned the spelling of V.  Is it V or Vee when talking about a shape in the sky of geese?  I've seen it both ways.  This is a skinny form for you, Dewell.  I like it.  And I like the second line in each tercet being one word.  Musical in places.  : )  Nice.  Just read it again.  Do you need that last stanza?   Maybe just drop it?  Playful in so many ways.  Good job.

Sponsored content

OMEN (I need six more letters.)  ) Empty Re: OMEN (I need six more letters.) )

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:52 pm