The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Wondering what happened.... I put something here today. I see it is no longer here?

Pat

Wondering what happened.... I put something here today.  I see it is no longer here? Empty Wondering what happened.... I put something here today. I see it is no longer here?

Post  Pat Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:06 pm

I'll try again.  I probably did something crazy.  : )  Oh well. . . I had 3 line stanzas, except for last line, but can't get the extra lines out.  Sending....

If…
                    —for Doug Huskey

If you watched him
stand up and walk to the pulpit today,
you’d never know.

If you lingered and listened to him sing
“The Anchor Holds” like a lullaby,
you’d never know.

If you sat with rapt attention
while he waved about reaching out,
you’d never know

that a few years back,
he fell off a roof,
cracking his world open.

A few years back,
he lay in bed with long suffering.
Light, constantly shifted about him.

A few years back,
a symphony of prayers,
visible love and invisible sentinels.

If you’d been in the service today
to taste the Easter message,
you’d never know

this secondary miracle.

Last edited by Pat on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double spacing)
renee.barger
renee.barger

Wondering what happened.... I put something here today.  I see it is no longer here? Empty Wonderful!

Post  renee.barger Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 pm

What a wonderful story! I loved how you lead up to the last line and how you used repeated lines. Very nicely done. Smile

The only criticism/feedback I'd give was that the beginning felt a little slow for me.  I was wondering what I didn't know longer than I wanted to. I felt like stanza 2 and 3 were basically the same thing. Maybe you could combine the two somehow? I think I wanted the poem to focus on the fact that he can now walk and move. That's the miracle, not necessarily that he was singing (unless that was part of the injury too somehow, like from stroke or something.) Hope that made sense.

Loved the poem. Thanks for sharing what a wonderful story. Smile
Admin
Admin

Wondering what happened.... I put something here today.  I see it is no longer here? Empty Lines that pay

Post  Admin Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 am

Pat

I enjoyed the music and alliteration of this poem.  You have a couple lines that pay:  Cracking his world . . . taste the Easter

I wonder who will publish this first?  Maybe send it to Ancient Paths (on facebook)

Toddd

Sponsored content

Wondering what happened.... I put something here today.  I see it is no longer here? Empty Re: Wondering what happened.... I put something here today. I see it is no longer here?

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:18 pm