The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

First Encounter... need help esp. ending.

Dewell H. Byrd

First Encounter... need help esp. ending. Empty First Encounter... need help esp. ending.

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:02 am

I have wrestled with this poem... can't tell if it is male or female or if that matters. Poem is one of those 2:00 AM sleep stealers. All suggestions welcome. Dewell

First Encounter

I did nothing

to cause this

or to stop it

there was no flirting

dirty dancing

drugs or alcohol

I should have said no

although it wasn’t unpleasant

the rosebud does nothing

except what it must

stand tall, thorn-guarded

opening, opening, inviting

the bee sees no reason

to deny the season

I adjust my clothing

walk away

never look back

-Dewell H. Byrd
    dennis20

First Encounter... need help esp. ending. Empty reply to Dewell

Post  dennis20 Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:31 am

I saw the opening as going places. My mind could see all sorts of possibilities, even the rose had meaning in the picture. I lost continuity when the bee was inserted. With the current ending, the bee presents a change of direction for my thinking.  The ending goes with the opening, but the bee seems to change the picture for me. Maybe an expansion of the first picture and then closure with the ending. Dennis
    tsukany
    tsukany

First Encounter... need help esp. ending. Empty Revision and reseeing

Post  tsukany Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm

A poet showed his revision strategy as moving stanzas to their correct place.

What about?

First Encounter

the rosebud does nothing
    except what it must
    stand tall, thorn-guarded
    opening, opening, inviting

the bee sees no reason
    to deny the season

I did nothing
    to cause this
    or to stop it

there was no flirting
    dirty dancing
    drugs or alcohol

I should have said no
    although it wasn’t unpleasant

I adjust my clothing
    walk away
    never look back

-Dewell H. Byrd
    Pat

First Encounter... need help esp. ending. Empty Here we go, Dewell. . ..

Post  Pat Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Well, I'm hearing the poet as passive and accepting about the whole thing. Rosebuds do what they do, bees do what they do. . . the man did what he does if the picnic is in front of him. Probably reality for many in this world we live in. I think many can probably identify with this. No big responsibility thing here. . .so it is not telling or preachy. Images are great. What I noticed was that you started with nature: rosebud, then bee, then man. I really have no great problem with that. . . . but what tightened it up for me was what Todd did with your poem: man, nature, man again: I did nothing. . . I adjust. . . . it just bookended it/ packaged it tighter. I think the title fits well. Helps the reader understand it. Good work. Pat
    dennis20

First Encounter... need help esp. ending. Empty To Dewell again

Post  dennis20 Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Dewell, I must bow to the master poet.  He has seen a way to put into words what I could not. Bravo to Todd.  My eye was sharp, but alas my words were not adequate to produce real help.  This is where more than one eye is so helpful. Dennis

Sponsored content

First Encounter... need help esp. ending. Empty Re: First Encounter... need help esp. ending.

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:37 pm