The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet?

dennis20

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet? Empty Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet?

Post  dennis20 Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:53 pm

The Story

I live to hunt the deer in Arkansas

and find the solitude out in the wood

helps keep my sanity.  There is a law

to keep and conservation says I should

take only food I need, not waste the meat.

I find the opportunities arise

when I take books along to read.  Deer cheat

somehow and sense the books divert my eyes

from watching them.  When I look up and see

how close they are I have to make a choice

between the deer and book I have with me.

Sometimes I curse that little inner voice.

Moments become eons, my world suspends,

I choose the deer or how the story ends.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet? Empty I like it

Post  tsukany Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:06 am

Dennis

I find it amusingly ironic that we both present sonnets this month. My sense is that you are much farther down the road than I. I think the power of your poem is that the rhyme is not predictable (my peeve about my rhyming works and why I have yet to work rhyme into my sonnet). I think there are a couple places where the syllable count is because of the form (line one and line six). I wasn't a fan of the title until I finished the poem. I love it. I think it brilliant. I think the chronology can be a bit tighter, but I'm not sure that needs to change anything in the poem. I bow to your skill. Smile Thanks for sharing.
    dennis20

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet? Empty sonnets are as sonnets do

Post  dennis20 Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks Todd.  We had our state critique for a speaker at the PRA this year. His name is Roger Armbrust and he has a website with some of his sonnets if you like. You can go to his website by punching in "the sonnetteerblogspot.com"     He is a sonnetter and I tried to pick up some pointers from him.  These things do not come easy if you try to make the sentences end somewhere other that at the end of a line.  Also if you try to have a train of thought that can be construed as a free verse by the unsuspecting reader. 
    Dewell H. Byrd

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet? Empty Dennis And His Sonnet

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am

Nice Job, Dennis! Very good sonnet... The narative seems to sag in the middle just a bit but not enough to wander... I could ride right along with you. I enjoyed the conflict of book or deer... Sonnets I don't really know having never tried to write one. Maybe I'll get up enough nerve to try it soon. Thanks for sharing this poem with us. Dewell
    Pat

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet? Empty Dennis, I smiled all the way through it. . . .

Post  Pat Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:28 pm

I think I identify with making the choice of reading or being alert to something I'm suppose to focus on. I like the ending: it can go either way. I am not a writer of sonnets, though I admire those who do this. . . . I think it is well done. I wanted a little fun in the middle of the poem: wondered if you could say eat instead of read. . . . maybe after talking about taking only the meat you need. I do not trust the little I know on meter, so I am without comment on that. I do like the issues at hand and the open ending. Also, you call it a story. . . . nice. Also, the line about cursing the little inner voice. Don't we know it well. Good job in my reality. And thanks for the blog on Roger. I might check it out too. If he is a sonnetteer, no wonder he is not very open to prepositional phrases. Ah ha!. . . . Pat

Sponsored content

Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet? Empty Re: Does this flow or have I pressed to hard to make it a sonnet?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:35 am