The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

Is there enough to see both seasons?

Dennis20

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty Is there enough to see both seasons?

Post  Dennis20 Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am

Etch-A-Sketch

In this late February cold

infant chlorophyll peeks

from under wet, brown leaves.

An infant wind moans

waiting to be born, to cry

loud and long in March.

A frosty song ebbs

on the radio, droning

whippets of cold

in ear phones

as walkers and joggers

break out of doldrums.

The sky is an ocean

of clouds rumpled

like hanging laundry

with blue construction

paper spaced behind

in slivers of sunshine.

Nature’s etch-a-sketch,

all week, draw, add, erase,

draw, add, erase, draw...
    tsukany
    tsukany

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty Seasons

Post  tsukany Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Dennis...it seems that there is more to this poem than two seasons; therefore, I didn't look for them. I see the seasons in the green shoots and runners against a storm. I have other notes below in a less, spaced version. Smile

Etch-A-Sketch

In this late February cold
    infant chlorophyll peeks
    from under wet, brown leaves.

An infant wind moans (I was distracted by the repeating of "infant")
    waiting to be born, to cry
    loud and long in March.

A frosty song ebbs (I like "droning" here and another verb to replace it below)
    on the radio, droning
    whippets of cold

in ear phones (not sure people are a part of seasons--radio image on down)
    as walkers and joggers
    breakout of doldrums. (I like "breakout" as one word)

The sky is an ocean (This full sentence is my favorite image)
    of clouds rumpled
    like hanging laundry (I didn't get an image consistent with the title)

with blue construction
    paper spaced behind
    in slivers of sunshine.

Nature’s etch-a-sketch,
    all week, draw, add, erase, (Colon after "week"? I like "shaken" to reference the storm of the second stanza)
    draw, add, erase, draw...
    Dewell H. Byrd

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty Etch-A-Sketch... Dennis's poem

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:08 pm

I see the two seasons... one present and one emerging... Maybe leave out the people stanza and let the two seasons prevail. Infant/infant tripped me up. "Whippets,"... I love that word in this cold context... This etch-a-sketch is well done in the Feb...Mar struggle of nature. Good job. Keep honeing. Dewell
    dennis20

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty painting images

Post  dennis20 Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I felt like I was overdoing it on "infant" but couldn't help myself.  I wish I could have come up with shaken for the etch-a-sketch.  I knew what you did with the thing but came up short on discription.  I was trying to emphasize the windy times with the laundry hanging.  I could have used billows and probably should have in that pic.  Thank you and Dewell for the input. 
    Pat

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty Dennis' poem Etch-a-Sketch

Post  Pat Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes, I can see seasons. Enough said about infant, but that is a great adjective meaning early. I can almost feel the cold as I read your poem: whippets of cold; frosty song; wind. Like Dewell, I really don't think you need the people stanza. I think it distracts from all the nature and coldness and Feb/March anyway. I struggle with the title: I think it's more about the Prelude or Foreshadowing to what's coming. I don't see an etch-a-sketch if we are talking about the toy children draw with, then erase in one fell-swoop. I feel dumb about asking this, but what if you did not keep the last stanza (which seems like a summation)? Then, I would be right there with you enjoying the ocean sky. "slivers of sunshine" . . . . good. Pat
    dennis20

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty Etch-a-sketch

Post  dennis20 Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks Pat for the input.  I likened it to the etch-a-sketch because each day when I get up and look out there is something added to what was there yesterday. It seems as if it is erased (shaken as Todd pointed out) and a new image with added elements that appears miraculously with the dawn and it happens day after day.  BTW today it is spitting snow.  March? Makes you wonder.

Sponsored content

Is there enough to see both seasons? Empty Re: Is there enough to see both seasons?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 am