The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters

Talking to God

Pat

Talking to God Empty Talking to God

Post  Pat Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:05 am

TALKING TO GOD 

the shock is all mine

coronavirus     no surprise
    to You

homemade masks     needed

no touchdowns 
    lots of shut-downs     &    lock-downs

march     winding down

we dream of
    hugs     sunshine     gentleness

iris knives point skyward

we stay home
    and move like ancient grandmothers

some kind of silent bird     sits in a tree

news speaks of hard hearts
    in a bent     dark world

facts stand silent like soldiers

but     there’s this thing
    with feathers
    tsukany
    tsukany

Talking to God Empty Chop Chop Shop

Post  tsukany Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 am

Pat

I love this imagery.

Do you need stanza 1 and the last three?  Can you end with the image of a silent bird that may or may not be gramdma?

Thanks for the smile

TS
    renee.barger
    renee.barger

Talking to God Empty Re: Talking to God

Post  renee.barger Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 am

I really liked the poem with how relevant it is right now! It really reflects what so many of us are experiencing. 

It might be just me, but I didn't understand the spacing in the stanzas. However, I like the airiness and distance of the words. It makes me think of the social distancing. Was that what you were going for? I guess I didn't get when something was spaced out and when others weren't. 

The last stanza threw me off. When I read it, I thought I must have missed something in the rest of the poem. 

I liked the ancient grandmothers. I liked the image of birds not singing, showing a sad, quiet time. I think stanza 4 is my favorite with "touchdowns, shutdowns, and lockdowns." 

I was also a little thrown off by the soldier. Maybe it's just me though. I was trying to think if there was a current event if I missed or overlooked. 

I think I wanted a stronger word than "needed" in stanza 3, but after I reread it and thought about it, I think it works. 

Not sure if any of that was helpful.  Thanks for sharing it. I enjoyed reading it. Smile
    Pat

Talking to God Empty I followed Todd's suggestions

Post  Pat Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:51 pm

to the nth degree to see how I liked it.  Smile I like it better.  No need for soldier and it complicates rather than keeping it simple. 
    Spacing.  I used spacing instead of punctuation.
    No caps either.
    So I used all caps for title.  
    I wanted it to be easy to read, but I thought I'd try no punctuation, sooooo I had to do something to help you read it the way I wanted it read:  thus, spacing. I've seen that done numerous times and my Mountain Home group talks about it from time to time.  
    Hope that helps.
    Also, I changed "lots of" to "loads of" for the internal rhyme with previous line.
    Thanks for the feedback.  Helpful.
    Pat
    renee.barger
    renee.barger

Post  renee.barger Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Ah! I get the spacing now. I can't believe I missed that. Thanks for explaining it to me. Smile
    Pat

Talking to God Empty You're welcome. The beauty of any group

Post  Pat Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:33 pm

experience is that we are all teachers, all students.  That way, we help each other to learn. Not that we always agree, but the poem belongs to the poet.  He/She can either listen to critique or do it his/her own way.  We are not all that invested.  The poet usually is invested and won't give up a few things that are important to him/her. Understandable.

Beautiful day.  Stay safe and enjoy.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 pm