The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it...

Pat

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it... Empty I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it...

Post  Pat Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:16 am

When I Look Closely, I Find

some of God
in the masterpiece of my father’s face,
in skeins of tattered clouds
                     looking like wings.

And surely
He’s underground with Mama’s old body
and on top of the ground where everything  
                     tries things on, takes things off.

Probably
God-at-work last winter
when we carried that thin fragment of a plan
                     to the shop.

Open all night,
but I look for Him in the early morning light—
when He might be racing straight for me
                    like a pack of wolves.
tsukany
tsukany

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it... Empty Richness and wonder

Post  tsukany Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:05 am

Pat

I was moved from the first line.  However, as the poem continued, I drifted.  I had to read it again, several times (not a bad thing of course . . . I WANTED to read it again.)

The image of seeing God in your father's face is stellar.  I felt it; and because it was such a strong image, I carried it through the entire poem (making the poem a description of your father not God).  That is not the poem's fault but mine.  However, I think you need that information moving forward.  Perhaps a simple He in line 3 stanza 2 will remind a first-timer to focus on God.

S3 is too abstract.  I tried to make sense of it:  the plan is mom?  the plan is something winter?  Is the verb "carried" the correct one?  Was the plan to construct the shop?  (Don't tell me or I will not see the poem as it is . . . i.e. I will have the same "insider" info the poet does.  Just let me figure it out in your next revision.  )

So I carry that mystery of S3 into S4, and I can't figure why I (or is it the shop?) am open all night.  I think the last line/image is as strong as the first, but I get lost in the transition that connects those two images.

Well done.  I hope that helps.

Todd
Pat

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it... Empty Yes, this is helpful.

Post  Pat Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:32 pm

I will work on it. . . maybe tomorrow.  Thank you!
tsukany
tsukany

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it... Empty Not to worry

Post  tsukany Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:37 pm

Pat

I am heading out of town.  I will be able to access your poem, but I might not be speedy T.

Todd
Pat

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it... Empty I hear you on speed. :) Have a great time. Edit below.

Post  Pat Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:18 am

When I Look Closely, I Find

some of God
in the masterpiece of my dear father’s face,
in skeins of tattered clouds
                     shaped like wings.

And surely
God is underground with bulbs and tubers
as well as on top, where He tries leaves on  
                     and takes them off and on and off and on….

Obvious at times—
like the plan that came to us one Christmas,
the way we made little crosses from limbs
                     and the fun of handing them to children.

God’s open all night and always there,
but I forget. Then I see Him in the early morning light—
that’s when He comes straight for me
                    like a pack of wolves.

Sponsored content

I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it... Empty Re: I have edited this poem for 2 or 3 weeks.... I keep changing it...

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:37 am