The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Rough yet heartfelt

renee.barger
renee.barger

Rough yet heartfelt Empty Rough yet heartfelt

Post  renee.barger Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:43 am

I've really missed the poetry forum group and had been looking forward to January's forum. I hope I'm not too late. I didn't come up with anything until I had to write a big emotion out. It's rough, but I thought it would be good to get feedback so I can figure out where to go from here.

The White and Blue Stick

I can't move on yet
from the footstool my four year old uses to reach the bathroom sink.
I read two words, not one.
Dirty words are three letters, not four. 
N-O-T
changes everything and nothing. 
______
Renee V. Barger

February 1, 2022
tsukany
tsukany

Rough yet heartfelt Empty Glad and sad

Post  tsukany Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:19 am

Renee

Actually a couple glads:  1. GLAD you've returned 2. wonderful poem

The sads are two as well:  1:  the meaning of the poem.  I am sorry.  2.  The long second line.  Because it is so long and contains an actor (albeit not actually present), my attention is drawn to process the poem as about the four-year-old.  I wonder if the line can be broken into several lines.

Thanks again for sharing so much in so few words.

Todd

renee.barger likes this post

renee.barger
renee.barger

Rough yet heartfelt Empty That helps so much

Post  renee.barger Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:51 am

Thank you for both the sympathy and also the feedback. It was uplifting. I could tell the second line was a problem but, in the moment, couldn't determine what to do with it. I think one of the big things I've learned here is that short poems need only one actor. I had forgotten that as I was looking at the poem. Thanks for the reminder. I'll remember it while writing one of these days. Smile

I couldn't figure out how to make the second line make sense, so I cut it and added a couple of words to the title. I'm attempting to create an image of a woman sitting alone in the bathroom. But maybe that doesn't matter or doesn't need to be in this poem? I wanted to show not tell, but I don't know if I'm accomplishing that either. I guess I'm a bit rusty. Smile

Staring at the White and Blue Stick

I can't move on yet
I read two words, not one.
Dirty words are three letters, not four. 
N-O-T
changes everything and nothing. 
______
Renee V. Barger

February 1, 2022
Pat

Rough yet heartfelt Empty I did not see this poem.

Post  Pat Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Renee,
Happy to have you back.  
I hear you. Sometimes we get stuck, especially in relationships, parenting, stages, grief, whatever.
I love the last 3 lines...I can relate.  
I can relate.

Line one may be the beginning of another poem???

Editing-- just part of it. Kooser said, "Oh i have to edit each poem about 40 times."  Can you imagine!

Sponsored content

Rough yet heartfelt Empty Re: Rough yet heartfelt

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:12 am