The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together

tsukany
tsukany

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together

Post  tsukany Thu May 26, 2022 9:26 am

Dessert is Served
“Be merciful to me, O God” –  Psalm 57
“Who judges in the earth” – Psalm 58

Like Ezekial, I eat. Two desserts are absorbed 
. . . four times over on the drive to the park. 
I press rewind again, again, again. Listen
once again. In my ignorance, 

I squeeze sweetness, words, into my ears, 
my eyes, until it runs out of my mouth.  
I hear: “So many teeth are broken.  So many 
fall into the pit they have dug.  So many lies 

spoken from the moment they left the womb.”  
So many skip dessert for an occasional sip of milk.

–Todd Sukany 23 May 2022
Pat

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Okay, I'm giving it back, blow by blow. I read the passages.

Post  Pat Thu May 26, 2022 12:26 pm

Dessert.  The best: It's sweet and tasty.  It is already served.

Ezekiel (check spelling.)  Narrator likens himself to Ezekiel, eating sweets.
Keeps eating...again and again.
I'm thinking this is nature, whatever he sees. He is on his way to the park, a pretty place.
Humbly says he is ignorant. I take this to mean:  we don't have to be smart to take in God and  His words.

His senses are working.  He is taking in whatever he hears or sees or tastes until he is stuffed and overflowing.

So many stubborn and rebellious people?  Teeth got broken by being prideful and using words like lances/arrows., meanness, probably not living God's way. Consequences:  falling into the pit, not hearing and not obeying. (Ps 57: 4. Born with deficits like lying and doing life our own way (pride)? (Psalms 58, v 4,5)

So many.... I'm thinking it may be Most of us.  We skip over what God wants to give us (desserts) for getting by on a little nutrition... baby's milk. God has more in mind than we can imagine for a goal.

God gives us mercy (but judges us, too.)  Psalm references.

Hey, this was a good Bible study for me! Wonder how close I got.
tsukany
tsukany

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Thank you Pat

Post  tsukany Fri May 27, 2022 8:15 am

Pat

I thank you for the encouragement.  I will wait for Renee before I reveal more.  I need her insights too.

You are wonderful.

Todd
renee.barger
renee.barger

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Re: Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together

Post  renee.barger Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:04 pm

I scanned Pat's response, but I am trying to just put out what I see in case that helps.

I like that I didn't know you were talking about listening to something in the first two lines, that made the connection between dessert and what you were listening to even stronger.

four times over-- I wasn't sure if that meant you ate 8 serving sizes of dessert? Maybe I'm overthinking that part.

the park -- we find God in nature. It's a sweet moment to experience God in nature. (I may have stolen Pat's idea on that as I scanned it)

I'm not sure what's being played on the radio. Is it a sermon or music? I think music since you rewind it over and over. Maybe it doesn't matter either.

The sweetness makes me think of how David (I think?) compared God's word to honey, sweeter than honey. We are to think/meditate on God's Word day and night, so that could be how you're "rewinding."

"squeeze sweetness in my ear and eyes until it comes out of my mouth" -- what we consume comes out of us. What we think about comes out in conversation. Makes me think you're consuming more than music to keep your thoughts on Jesus.

I am not sure if I remember the reference to "so many teeth are broken." Is that in Ezekial? 

The pit -- I kinda know the Bible reference, but I'm having trouble connecting it to sweets/desserts. ''

Lies could keep people from tasting the sweetness of God's word. Maybe pits keep us from the dessert too? (I may be stretching it there.)

an occasional sip of milk -- my brain went to the NT that talks about baby believers needing milk but mature believers eating meat. But "occasional" makes me think that the people are keeping themselves at the "baby" level by not getting enough sustenance and definitely not tasting the sweetness of God's word.

I hope this response helps somewhat. I did struggle a bit with where you broke the lines. I feel like there's something in the poem I'm missing, but I'm not sure what it is.
tsukany
tsukany

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Many thanks

Post  tsukany Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:17 am

Renee and Pat

For several years I have been listening to the Bible while in the car.  What a rewarding experience it is.

This poem is a summary of one recent experience.  I was listening to Psalms and was struck by 57 and 58 . . . I must have listened to it eight or more times. 

The quotes are paraphrases of thoughts in those two psalms.  I added Ezekiel (or Ezekial as it is misspelled) to reference eating the Word. 

One of my experiences with listening to the entire Bible over and over is how much of it we never hear about in church.  We like the verses that make us feel good and ignore those that point out the evil that exists in this world.  I wanted to address that void in this poem.

Thank you two.  I am open to suggestions now that the "poem" has been unveiled a bit.

Todd
Pat

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Next to last paragraph in Renee's response:

Post  Pat Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:20 am

I forgot to say much or anything about that.  I had the exact thoughts she did.  Baby Christians.  Complete but immature.  Just sayin' "me too."
Pat

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty I'll reread it again later today and see what else.

Post  Pat Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:34 am

I hear you.  Hmmmm.  Thanks for sharing. Nice model for me.  I'm often in the car by myself (because she live in the country),  and I usually listen to 91.5 FM or KLOVE which Haven (gdaughter) likes too.
tsukany
tsukany

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty reference

Post  tsukany Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:58 am

Pat

I downloaded the files from Listen To The King James Bible (earnestlycontendingforthefaith.com)

I then put it on a thumb drive or on my phone.  

Wonderful resource and price.  Wink

Todd
Pat

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Thank you...

Post  Pat Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:17 pm

I appreciate the "how to".  
Pat
renee.barger
renee.barger

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Love it.

Post  renee.barger Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:56 am

That is great. I really like the purpose behind your poem. You're right; we tend to ignore difficult, uncomfortable, or confusing parts of the Bible, especially in the Old Testament. I love that you listen to the Bible being ready. I have one friend who listens to the Bible while she works. (I think many Bible apps have audio options of the Bible now too.) I am still thinking about your poem, but honestly, I think it's great.

Sponsored content

Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together Empty Re: Please let me know how you are putting these pieces together

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 am