The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

Challenging Works

tsukany
tsukany

Challenging Works Empty Challenging Works

Post  tsukany Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:37 am

Without Debt
"lest at any time they should be converted, 
and their sins should be forgiven them." -- Mark 4:12

Jean always wanted to go to university.  
    Walk the steps into the library.  Stroll 
to the gazebo, dropped like a chocolate chip 
    into a bed of fragrance and shrubs.  Rest 
under the carillon until the top of the hour 
    when the digital chimes would sing.  Practice 
stealth inside the buildings, especially 
    the cafeteria.  Attend sporting events 
and special gatherings.  Exude pride 
    at the end of four years 
for never having actually enrolled.

–Todd Sukany 28 Jul 2022
Pat

Challenging Works Empty Exactly. Challenging. Words and Works.

Post  Pat Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Okay, this scripture has always been challenging. Eyes open, hears open, but you are not allowed to get it.  Disciples get it when Jesus wants them to.  So others like me, get it when Jesus wants us to get it. It is not dependent on the person's openness.  It may be the timing... so they get stories, like they are children.  Nudged along.  I wonder  how many times I hear only the stories ... and I teach children, hoping they'll get more than the story. Nudging them along until God opens their eyes, ears.  

The poem:  I like the format, starting with powerful verbs, present tense (did you miss that on "drop like a chocolate chip...?")  Easy to stay with you. Jean's story (every man's story), but he/she never enrolled!  Never graded, never in debt, never had to participate, never had consequences?  Interesting.  There in body for the good times...maybe for the look of being a sharp student, but not there in spirit. Not connecting with Jesus or depending on Him to get you through the hard times. Then happy and prideful at the end that he/she never enrolled, never bought in, never sold out, never really lived out the college experience (spiritual experience?) .

Surprised me at the end. 

What am I missing here?
Pat
tsukany
tsukany

Challenging Works Empty You are good

Post  tsukany Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:54 pm

Pat

I am refreshed by your analysis of my works.  I need to remember to send you works when I get discouraged.  Smile  Bless you and thank you.

This epigraph is from the parable of the sower/seed.  I know that popular church-ME-anity would have all people "saved."  Here, Jesus says something more challenging (to me anyway).  3/4 of the "receivers" of the Word never bring fruit.  If the apple tree never produces apples, is it really an apple tree?

The poem is to be a metaphor for those who have been "forgiven" but never met Jesus (echos of sheep and goats).

Pat, I think you tracked very much as I had hoped the reader would.

Todd
Pat

Challenging Works Empty Oh good!

Post  Pat Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:46 pm

Send your work any time. 

Pat

Sponsored content

Challenging Works Empty Re: Challenging Works

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:14 pm