The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

Sorry. This is more than a quick read. What is broken?

tsukany
    tsukany

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty Sorry. This is more than a quick read. What is broken?

Post  tsukany Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:37 am

Crossing Over

As the lads left, the lens waited
    high on a step-ladder, waited
    at the piano-like intersection, waited
    in front of bobby-held traffic. Waited.

Within ten minutes, the shutter clicked,
    like a fine poem, the one we all desire
    to read but more to write, the one where
    thousands will imitate its walk into the heart and soul,

the poem that needs no title
    nor author identification,
    just a quatrain as quirky
    as Maxwell’s instrument of attention.

--Todd Sukany 7 June 2015
    Karen
    Karen

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty Re: Sorry. This is more than a quick read. What is broken?

Post  Karen Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:43 am

My first thought was the Abbey Road cover photo, but the photographer was Iain Macmillan.  Am I lost or on the trail?
    Pat

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty I wrote 3 paragraphs and they disappeared!

Post  Pat Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Okay, this will be shorter, then I hit Send. 
    S 1 :   I guess there is a camera lens on a ladder at an intersection.  Set to go off in 10 minutes.  A bobby-held traffic would be a policeman in England?   Maybe a photographer has set to take a picture of someone important?  Waiting - 4 times.  Everything, even a camera, is waiting.  Unusual photo shot.  Hmmm. 
    S 2:  Shutter clicks and it's perfect!   Like a fine poem that you write.  Pulitzer variety:  others imitate it.  Well-known, well laid out and goes into heart and soul. 
    S 3 :  Photo is known for its quirkiness, identifiable.   Like e.e.cummings poetry, I suppose.  I always thought it was weird and quirky until a teacher taught me it was different and masterfully done.  : )   W.C.Williams and the Red Wheelbarrow.  I had the same reaction many years ago.  Maxwell:  I do not know a photographer by that name, but you must.  What a fine compliment to him.  He photos outside the box?   And it is recognizable.  Mary Oliver is that way too, I suppose.  I stumbled over nor author. . . . I'd just say:  no title, no author. 
    I am guessing at Crossing Over title.   Not really clear to me whether it's about the subject, the photographer.  Because I know you write on different levels, I also wonder if it is about going to heaven where everything will be super wonderful to us, I just don't know. 
    I certainly hope you will tell us what you were thinking on this title after everyone has played with it.  : )
    dennis20

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty I ain't got a clue

Post  dennis20 Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Todd,  "England swings like a penduleum do"  or so the song goes.  I can't say much about the subject here.  I am not with you unless this is a vacation to "merry old..." I do like the picture of piano-like intersection.  That is great imagination. Because of what you said about the poem, I am going to add what I was going to use for my poem this month. I love your far reaching thought about that poem we read and wish we had written it.  I come across those all too often.  Maybe after you enlighten us can we help.

The Work of Words

A frail verse of poetry
    shyly written, humbly presented
    becomes a martyr for centuries,
    repeated for generations.

A strong verse
    grabs the mind,
    boldly builds hope,
    forms a community,
    establishes a nation.

A great verse is a fulcrum,
    pivot point planted
    within hearts,
    moves the universe
    for centuries.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty Nice offering Dennis

Post  tsukany Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:38 am

I really like the journey of your poem.  It was unexpected.  Thanks
    Karen
    Karen

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty Re: Sorry. This is more than a quick read. What is broken?

Post  Karen Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Okay you two, break it up.  Dennis ... "a martyr for centuries."   Good one.  I like the beginning of the 3 stanzas - frail, strong, great.

Todd, if you don't give us the lowdown on the hoedown on "Crossing Over" by Sunday night, I'm crossing over the Missouri line to get the answer.  This poem is worrying me to death.  I want the backstory too.
    tsukany
    tsukany

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty See 'ere, Mate

Post  tsukany Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:38 am

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Abbey road
    Karen
    Karen

Post  Karen Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:04 pm

The "Maxwell" kept throwing me.  I was barking in the right forest, but up the wrong tree.

Silver hammer?
    Dewell H. Byrd

Sorry. This is more than a quick read.  What is broken? Empty What's Broken...

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Sure fooled me.
    I had this heaven thing, too.
    With the picture it all makes sense.
    Maybe if you identified the four boys it would help the reader.
    I like the tone, the feel of the poem except the time delay is an interruption.
    Dewell

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm