The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay?

Pat

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay?

Post  Pat Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am

Another Part of the Story

If this were my final week, 
and the doctor told me 
to put my affairs in order,

I might just let my affairs go hang.
After all, my husband
eventually would tend the bills,

banking, house, and whatever else
I’d be leaving behind. My eyes 
might rest on the red cannas

standing proud and tall.
Or I’d peer into the towering maple,
the one which faithfully gives shade

in summer and gold in autumn
before bidding us adieu,
or maybe I’d sit on the porch

and watch a spider weave her net
across the top step.  Like her,
my needs would be slight. 

It’s likely I’d lean in toward the sky 
of cobblestone clouds, foreshadowing 
my way to future days.
renee.barger
renee.barger

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Re: Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay?

Post  renee.barger Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Sorry to hear about your headache. Sad
What a beautiful poem! It flowed so well, and I loved the three line stanzas. I didn’t trip over words once.
The only thing I’m not sure if I get is the title, but I feel like my mind isn’t fully here.

Last edited by renee.barger on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsukany
tsukany

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Thinking through

Post  tsukany Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Pat

Each time I read the poem, I start with the word "As."  "As if this were..."  I think that element of immediacy is powerful.  

I am not sure why the husband enters the poem.

The ending seems like one is stretching for meaning rather than suggesting, in concrete terms, what would be done if this were the last days. ". . . foreshadowing my way to future days"  seems abstract.  What are you trying to say?

I have to agree with Renee about the title.  Not sure what it does for the reader.

Todd
Pat

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Thank you for the feedback....

Post  Pat Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:19 am

exactly what I needed to hear.  I will keep editing.  If I can manage to play with it today, I may send it back to you for more feedback.   

Thank you!  

Pat
Pat

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty I stayed with it.... my revision is below...these are suppose to be 3 line stanzas. They won't hold here.

Post  Pat Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:48 am

Struggling here to get it to take the revision.  If this doesn't work, I have to move on. . . 

What’s Important in the End

If this were my final week, 
and the doctor told me 
to put my affairs in order,

I might just let my affairs go hang—
the bills, banking, house,

whatever else I’d be leaving behind.

My eyes 

might rest on the red cannas
standing tall and proud.

Or I’d peer into the towering maple,
the one which faithfully gives shade
in summer and gold in autumn

before bidding us adieu,

or maybe I’d sit on the porch
and watch a spider weave her net

across the top step.  Like her,

my needs would be slight. Like her,
I’d likely keep my rituals.

Last edited by Pat on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : double spacing)
renee.barger
renee.barger

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Re: Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay?

Post  renee.barger Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:46 pm

The only thing I miss is "cobblestone clouds" but you could use that in another poem too. Smile The image was so fun for me.

I liked the title way better. I knew what I was getting into with the poem, and your imagery is just gorgeous.

I'm not sure if it's just the formatting on my phone, but did you get rid of the 3 line stanza consistency? I kinda missed it personally.

Again, beautiful poem with beautiful imagery.
tsukany
tsukany

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Just another thought

Post  tsukany Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:30 pm

Pat

I think I'd end the poem with the line

in summer and in autumn gold.

Maybe title it "In the End"

Todd
renee.barger
renee.barger

Post  renee.barger Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Ooooo! I really like Todd's suggestion!
Pat

Struggling with line breaks and a fat headache (weather). Title, okay? Empty Thank you, thank you!

Post  Pat Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:45 pm

You guys.  Always helpful.
Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 am