Twas the last day of deer season...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Twas the last day of deer season...

Post  Dennis2012 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:40 pm

Good Friends,  I have completed my annual 3 month deer hunting and have returned none the worse for wear.  (at least I think so)  Below is one of my deer stand scrawls.  I would like your imput on how best to arrange the lines of the best impact. Although it is a few hours early, let me wish you one and all, "Happy New Year!"

No Bungie

The moon drags darkness like a sailor drags a boat.
Stars are a filmy mist rising after a cold rain.
An ancient iron bridge lends a shoulder for sorrow.
Slow currents lace salty tears to reeds on shallows.
Your resounding “no” was the patter of feet
on indoor-outdoor carpet, soft, without echo.  
A splash in darkness weaves waves for a mute heart.

Dennis2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Twas the last day of deer season...

Post  Karen on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:21 pm

The first line kills me.  Love it.

Everything else suits me with two exceptions.  The title sets me up as I need to be, but I don't like Bungie.  Indoor-outdoor carpet also smacks me back to the modern world.

The rest of the poem has a timeless mournful quality I love.  Would you consider substitutions for these two interlopers?
Karen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Last Day Of Deer Season

Post  Dewell H. Byrd on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Mournful, indeed!  Rather like suicide by jumping off the bridge (or deer stand).
Very contemplative... a little minor key music, please.  I like that solid last line which may suggest a better title to the piece.  If you sit in that tree-stand all day unable to see another human being strange thoughts may weave...
Thanks for sharing... Dewell

Dewell H. Byrd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dennis!

Post  tsukany on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am

Dennis so pleased to see your name (though I like Ben just fine)

This is not a deer hunting poem, right?

I took the liberty of creating couplets to see what is in each line.

No Bungie

The moon drags darkness
like a sailor drags a boat.

A splash rows
waves over a mute heart.

An ancient iron bridge
lends a shoulder for sorrow.

Stars are a filmy mist
rising after a cold rain.

Your resounding “no”
was the patter of feet

on dappled carpet,
soft, without echo.
tsukany

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Awesome

Post  renee.barger on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:04 pm

I loved so many things about this poem. The images were so vivid, and I agree with Dewell, I could almost hear minor music playing. I feel like I could keep rereading these lines and not get tired of it.

The only thing that felt "off" to me was "Your resounding “no” was." I wasn't expecting the switch in person or the different verb tense. Maybe that was done on purpose, but if so, I didn't understand why.

Other than that, two thumbs up!
renee.barger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Just now seeing this poem.

Post  Pat on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 am

I won't repeat what everyone else has said.  I like the couplets because it is easier to read.
Beautiful images.  What would you say to changing drags in line 2 to dragging?  Todd's rendition of it appeals to me.  Everything seems daydreamy.  I like that.  There is a little jerk in me though with the title and modern terms.  Enjoyed the imagery and pattering

Pat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

He swings thru the air with the greatest of ...

Post  Dennis2012 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Gang,   Thank you for so many good ideas for this poem.  I couldn't come up with a better title which I thought would get everyone to the scene as well as the word bungie since we often see those brave souls launching off bridges.  But I had more in mind for this "rejected" soul than a quick spring back. I wanted the picture to be there without actually saying he/she jumped. (well, it could have been someone of the female persuasion)  
I like the couplets, but it doesn't complete the picture for me.  Maybe, the iron bridge part isn't near enough to the end for me to picture what is comtemplated.  I love the dappled carpet.  I search my miserly can of adjectives and failed.  I was thinking more of being quiet thus making the picture more about the noise than the color. Good word. Thank you one and all.

Dennis2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Twas the last day of deer season...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top