The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

Double Tanka

tsukany
tsukany

Double Tanka Empty Double Tanka

Post  tsukany Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:08 pm

You identify 
as a tree, do not stop there.  
Thrust your new genus 
on others and distinguish 
yourself from other family members.  

Have no fear that you 
have diminished your hard work-- 
poet, CEO--
by your privileged color
or affirmative species.

--T.A. Sukany 25 Feb 2020
renee.barger
renee.barger

Double Tanka Empty Re: Double Tanka

Post  renee.barger Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:13 pm

I got it! *finger snaps* I love it! A timely poem and message.

Thanks for pointing out that is was a double tanka. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at those, so I might have missed that.

Is there no title?

Is there a true story behind the poem?
Pat

Double Tanka Empty Tanka

Post  Pat Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Nice.
I like that tree comes first.
People, poet, CEO come second.
Message is well said, but I still read it 5 times to be sure it said what I thought it was saying. 
privileged color really grabbed me.... we just had a young woman from India here.  Beautiful and privileged and confident. Any color.  It fits any color.  Love that. Lot of permission here.  I also like the message of not being afraid.  
Well done.  
Thanks for sharing this with us.
renee.barger
renee.barger

Post  renee.barger Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 pm

After reading Pat’s response, I’m worried maybe I misunderstood the poem. I took it sarcastically. With this wave in America where we can choose pronouns, what gender we identify as, why not take it a step farther to be a tree? Make everyone call you a tree even though you’re not.

The next stanza, I read as “doing so will discredit yourself.”

I also took “privileged color” as white. The news seems to wants white people feel bad for being white, the “privileged” color.

Let me know if I’m off here. I didn’t take the message as a positive thing like Pat did.
tsukany
tsukany

Double Tanka Empty Pleased with feedback

Post  tsukany Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:28 am

Renee

I am pleased by the feedback on this poem.  Of course, I wanted the poem to indicate the track you followed.  Does it work for you as a positive poem?  It would be GREAT if it works both ways.

As I understand, tanka have no titles.  I would prefer to title the double tanka.

Thanks again!

Todd
renee.barger
renee.barger

Post  renee.barger Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 am

I have learned so much this month. I didn't know tankas didn't have titles. To be honest, I only memorized poet vocab in school for tests and then forgot it all. So, this has been a great review. I'm trying to relearn as much as possible. 

I really enjoyed this poem. Will you try to publish it? I think it's a timely poem. 

Thanks again,
Renee
Pat

Double Tanka Empty I agree with Renee.

Post  Pat Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 am

It's timely.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 am