The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry?

Dennis 20

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty Is there too much story line for this to be poetry?

Post  Dennis 20 Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Joy at the Park

With her feet at a skewed angle,
    her head tilted back, she pumped
    the swing higher and higher.

As she went forward the wind
    carried her hair straight out
    behind her like long lines
    of geese in winter skies.

At the apex of the arc,
    for a split-second of time,
    she stopped, the world stopped,
    and she could see to heaven.

When she swung back
    her long auburn locks
    wrapped around her chin,
    into her open mouth, and

hugged her squeezed-shut eyes
    so tight that they welled
    with tears.  It was the squeal
    and laughter that lifted
    her “papa” to the same heights.
    Dewell H. Byrd

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty Joy At The Park

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Dennis I like how this poem jumps right into action... an activity universal in nature.  Been there, done that... and Grandpa pushing...  No, not too much story line for me.  Maybe delete line 9 because we understand that without being told.  Papa in last stanza jolted me.  I was so into child/swing/joy that I resented his presence.  Consider letting us know early on that he is present then his Joy At The Park may fit better.  Write On.  Dewell
    Karen
    Karen

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty Re: Is there too much story line for this to be poetry?

Post  Karen Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:24 pm

Not too much story line for me.  I liked the specificity of the detail.  "Long lines of geese in winter skies".  Good one.

I am with Dewell.  Papa needs to come earlier or stay home.  I vote stay home.

Is there a way to end with a squeal of laughter that lifts the reader to the heights?
    Pat

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty I came to the party late, so

Post  Pat Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:20 pm

I think Karen and Dewell nailed it:   no Papa or Papa in the distance at a picnic table writing notes
    for his poem to be carefully crafted later.  

An ee cummings poem stayed with me:   about a Balloon man. . . . he wheeled high and free!   I
    can't check it from here.   When children are swinging, they are high and free and loving every
    hair in their faces.   Might want to check that poem out.  It captures high and free.  I probably have
    not quoted it exactly.  

Beautiful.  Papa's description:   very nice imagery. 

Fun imagery.  

Have you every read The Poet's Child?   Such a poem could go into that book.   : )
    tsukany
    tsukany

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty Chop Chop

Post  tsukany Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:16 am

Dennis

I would try a version without the last two stanzas.

Todd
    Dennis 20

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty As the Axe to the Cherry...

Post  Dennis 20 Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:08 pm

To all,   I think I hear from all that I should have stopped before the last two stanzas.  I was intent on the event being shared with someone (me, grandpa, papa) that I felt compelled to stick me in there. I think this is what happens so often to us as poets. We are trained to be writers first, story tellers if you will, so we want to make sure we leave nothing up to the reader.  We tell the reader what to see, feel, think, know, and every other emotion imaginable. Thank you one and all. 
    One of my favorite movies is "My Cousin Vinny" and I like the part where he tells the judge, "I think I get it."  The judge replies, "No, you don't,"  and throws him in jail.  I'm afraid I (maybe we) are like that. We may get it for right now, but next time it happens all over again.  Because of that, I really appreciate you guys.  BTW, I only like the version of that movie with the G rating in case you are familiar with it.  The other version is TOO strong for my taste.

Sponsored content

Is there too much story line for this to be poetry? Empty Re: Is there too much story line for this to be poetry?

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm