The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

4 posters

MID-SUMMER

Dewell H. Byrd

MID-SUMMER Empty MID-SUMMER

Post  Dewell H. Byrd Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Does the last stanza fit in this poem?  Perhaps a bridge is needed between stanzas three and four.
    However, a mystery is created reading it as is.  Is it unusual for a tangential thought to impose itself upon a simple scene of nature?  What do you suggest?  Dewell

MID-Summer

Fireflies trace tight zigzags
    stirred by a snail breeze
    along the shoreline.

A skein of Canada geese
    briefly shadows stars
    with Doppler honks

rising, falling, fading.
    Bullfrogs drum wet thunder
    Over the shallow water.

I smile, remembering something
    you said about the smell of fireflies
    on your fingertips.

-Dewell H. Byrd
    tsukany
    tsukany

MID-SUMMER Empty playful thought

Post  tsukany Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 am

Dewell

Nice offering, again!

I wonder if you can play with "skein" in each stanza by creating a "tapestry" of images.  

I wasn't bothered by any jumps in logic.  The title seems to be an area you could strengthen though.

Todd
    Pat

MID-SUMMER Empty Mid Summer

Post  Pat Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Dewell, I especially like the last stanza.  If you change skein, you might think about its shape, like the shape of Kentucky or the shape of an arrow.  Are you asking if you need transitional bridges?  If so, I think what you have works.  I don't much like the title.  How about, "Standing Under a Mid-Summer Sky" or "Aware Under a Mid-Summer Sky"  You could throw in 2 more images and not bore me.  I like these. Stanza 3, line 3:  I'd drop the.  Overall, I like it.
    Karen
    Karen

MID-SUMMER Empty Re: MID-SUMMER

Post  Karen Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:02 pm

The title must go.  It's not fair of me to jump on the bandwagon without suggesting an alternate, but here I am, empty-handed.  The title seems to need a specific image, or a comment.

I like the little jump at the last stanza.  I love the reference to the smell of fireflies.  Anyone who has collected them in a jar knows that smell vividly.

I agree with Pat on cutting "the" in stanza 3, line 3.  Other than that, and a worthy title, I think it's just right as it is.
    Dennis 20

MID-SUMMER Empty Fireflies and frenchfries

Post  Dennis 20 Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 pm

Dewell,  I think it blends together nicely.  It is what I expect from the title.  Years ago I would not have expected geese in mid-summer, but now they stay here year round.  The last lines nail the first lines beautifully. I could live without shoreline since it wasn't something in my summer, but all the rest resonance for summer. Good picture here.

Sponsored content

MID-SUMMER Empty Re: MID-SUMMER

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:34 pm