The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

General Typical Question of interest and clarity

tsukany
tsukany

General Typical Question of interest and clarity Empty General Typical Question of interest and clarity

Post  tsukany Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:37 am

Whom Did You Upset Today? 

Slightly angled, the reed does her best
to lean into the pew. To her left,

the one who two days ago was 
a flame becomes a wisp of incense.

On this Sunday morning walk, 
a crane flaps back to the pond.

--T.A. Sukany 15 Sep 2019
renee.barger
renee.barger

General Typical Question of interest and clarity Empty Re: General Typical Question of interest and clarity

Post  renee.barger Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:45 pm

I’m not sure I get it. Pew and “Sunday morning” put me in church, but I think we’re already at the pond that the crane flies to?
Because of your use of “she” I thought of a busybody lady in church upset about something and one of her friends is angry about a smell in church? I’m guessing I’m missing your point.
I was very intrigued by the title.
tsukany
tsukany

General Typical Question of interest and clarity Empty Helpful Feedback

Post  tsukany Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:06 am

Renee

Helpful for sure.  I will think through your comments and post another revision asap

TS
Pat

General Typical Question of interest and clarity Empty Interesting, but I don't get it.

Post  Pat Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 am

The third stanza, I follow and I like the closing with nature, going on.
The second stanza, flame?  anger?  (hot and flaming?) wisp of incense takes me to church.  Forgiveness?  
First stanza: reed? Is this a ritual in church that I do not know?  I also think of Jesus and disciples wanting to reach everyone,  forgiveness- for everyone.

I'm guessing forgiveness is given and received.  Just not sure.
I like the title.

Sponsored content

General Typical Question of interest and clarity Empty Re: General Typical Question of interest and clarity

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:40 am