The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

3 posters
  • Reply to topic

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events

renee.barger
renee.barger

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events

Post  renee.barger Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:09 am

Aslan Would Fix Everything

Is it always winter in Russia?
Does the White Witch wield his power with Turkish Delight?
If only train ports were wardrobes, 
the White Witch would vanish.
Winter would have Christmas,
and children would be rulers.

tsukany

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty Nice timely poem

Post  tsukany Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:19 pm

Renee

I really like the analogy.  Current events made assessible.  Well done!

My lobby is to remove the pronoun "his" in line 2.  It keeps the poem open without crossing gender.

Todd

renee.barger likes this post

Pat

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty It has been a long time

Post  Pat Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:59 pm

since I read Nardia books, but I remember the main players. Good and evil.  I can easily see how Ps 37 and current events urged the writing of the poem. Evil and righteous.  You caught it.... I agree with Todd--- "his" is not needed. Actually, it could be confusing to people who know the book. I like the title--that helped me think Nardia. And you know, what's happening over there is sort of unbelievable like a fairytale. 

I also like the references to winter. That holds the two together for me. Nice work, Renee.
I wonder if you might think about dating the work under the title? That would add another clue to readers:  
Aslan Would Fix Everything
                                (winter, 2022) (Font needs to be 10 point, of course)
Just an idea.
I like the way you correlated the two.
Thanks for sharing.

renee.barger
renee.barger

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty Re: After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events

Post  renee.barger Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:41 pm

That is so helpful; thank you so much. I got rid of the "his." Definitely clears up the confusion, like you said. I added Winter 2022 under the title. I really liked that idea. I was wondering if/how I should add that I read Psalm 37 prior to writing the poem. Does it help the reader? Is it necessary? I didn't know.
renee.barger
renee.barger

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty Re: After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events

Post  renee.barger Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:45 pm

I haven't kept up lately with the Ukraine invasion with how overwhelming/depressing the whole situation is, but I saw that children were being taken by train to the countryside just like in WW2. I assume that wasn't a fake news, but either way, it made me think of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Then when I read Psalm 37, it was hard not to think of Ukraine. It all kinda came together by itself. Well, the first version was horrible and "told" too much. I had fallen asleep thinking up the lines I needed and wrote them down today. It just feels so crazy what's happening over there. Something you would read from a story book or history book not from current events.
tsukany
tsukany

Post  tsukany Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:13 pm

Maybe you can honor the reading of psalm 37 either an epitaph. I like the poem as is.

Todd
Pat

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty Maybe you could just say (under the title)

Post  Pat Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:58 pm

---following the reading of Psalms 37

renee.barger
renee.barger

Post  renee.barger Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:43 pm

Question: When/how do you decide to publish a poem to a magazine whether online or not.
tsukany
tsukany

Post  tsukany Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:00 pm

Renee
Send them out until they find a home. The more you send the more homes they'll find. It is a discipline. Smile

Todd

Pat

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty After Reflecting on Psalms 37...

Post  Pat Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:13 pm

Todd is right.

And try to read a little in the magazine (on line or in the library) to match mags with your type of poetry. Don't take it personally if your poem is rejected.  The mags have personalities and are looking for certain kinds of poems. 

When your poem is accepted, celebrate!  
Pat

renee.barger
renee.barger

After Reading Psalm 37 and reflecting on current events  Empty Any recommendations

Post  renee.barger Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:39 am

Do you have any recommendations on where to start? The one place I found looks more progressive/liberal, and I feel like my work wouldn't be a good fit.
Pat

Post  Pat Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:03 am

My work does not fit into the liberal mags either.  
Poets Market, most recent volume you can find, is where I think I started.  There is a description of each mag in there.  You'll figure out which ones are super liberal. Each mag describes what they want. 
Also, find poetry books in print that you just love.  On the acknowledgement page, see where they were published. I read the poem, then look at acknowledgements to see where it was published... if I like the poem. 
I have become so lazy about this. (Been working on a man's memoir.) But I must get back to it.  Maybe I'll take these suggestions and apply them to myself again! I did buy a book at Lucidity of Diane Glancy's because of the acknowledgement page.  Become curious about how other writers get published. 
When you publish in Grist, it is considered published.  If you publish in a church bulletin, it is published.  It does not have to be in POETRY. John Han might love your work:  CANTOS.  It's there in MO. Use google.
It's a discovery process.  Become Columbus.  Smile  My best to you.  It IS a journey.

Pat

Post  Pat Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:05 am

Renee, go to alibris.com or amazon and purchase a USED copy of Poets Market 2021 or 2020, the most recent they've got.  They are usually pretty expensive if you don't get them used.  I LOVE used books.

renee.barger
renee.barger

Post  renee.barger Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:33 pm

Thank you for these tips! I will start working on this! (Sorry for the late reply.)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am