The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

2 posters
  • Reply to topic

I need your eyes and ears on this one...

Pat

I need your eyes and ears on this one... Empty I need your eyes and ears on this one...

Post  Pat Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm

Folded Letter
   --for Haven

Here, the wind, is a detective,
snooping in and out of  yellow forsythias
on the other side of the window.
I picture you with a cluster of women
living independent of parents,
each with a room of her own.
Together, like sisters, you glow
and roar like newborns.

I refold your letter.

Dear Granddaughter,
Maybe I should be washing dinner dishes.
Instead, I watch the lab snoring on the sofa
and the terrier snuffling in the blue chair,
so like babies sleeping in cradles.
It won’t matter in a hundred years,
but there’s no end to my pleasure
right now.
tsukany
tsukany

I need your eyes and ears on this one... Empty Two poems?

Post  tsukany Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:34 am

Pat

I think this is still two poems.  I much prefer the approach of the first poem, less telling and leaves room for the reader.

I wonder if there is too much "writer known" information in the entire poem.

Todd
Pat

I need your eyes and ears on this one... Empty Just back from Lucidity

Post  Pat Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:37 am

I took only half of what I needed for my computer to Eureka, so I'm just now looking at email. Many missed you at the retreat, esp. Ray, Diane and I.  Thank you for judging poems....  I won an honorable.  Nice. 
Btw, John Han and Suzanne Rhodes (AR Poet Laureate) were "hits" at the retreat.  Maybe 35 present.  I think I understand a little about haikus now.  I love the process John taught us.  Suzanne showed techniques and quoted poets.  She is helpful.  Traded books with her. I like that Nancy/speakers gave us handouts to follow along with. Auditory is just not enough for me. 

Two poems.  Okay...I hear you.  I always need to be LESS telling and give space for the reader.  As I relook at this today, I see that. Or maybe I just have one poem? The first one. Thank you for your help, Todd.

Sponsored content

I need your eyes and ears on this one... Empty Re: I need your eyes and ears on this one...

Post  Sponsored content

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am