The Last Friday

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Last Friday

The Last Friday is a poetry editing group. Once a month, we post a poem and then offer feedback to the other poems on the Forum. We're a friendly but honest group. We value each other deeply and desire for every poet to be published or become famous.

2 posters

"The Inspirational Stuff" This poem's format is intentional. It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins.

tsukany
    tsukany

"The Inspirational Stuff"  This poem's format is intentional.  It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins. Empty "The Inspirational Stuff" This poem's format is intentional. It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins.

Post  tsukany Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 am

The Inspirational Stuff
    "A poem should not mean / But be."

Archibald MacLeish is right, a poem should- / n't be mean. Meaning, the meaning should be / right there, on the surface, leach deep into / the recesses of the lines (between them / or among them or, better, amongst). Peo- / ple or a person, preferably dead-- / to escape the realities of fail- / ures, sins, shortcomings, and acne--skillful- / ly smeared with words that we make out but nev- / er use, unless in the heat of Scrabble / or crossword or Sudoku-- help us know / more about us, ourselves, them, or cats and / how special they are and unique, except / when compared to most other domestic- / cated beast, eating what nature provides / and not what is enhanced in the lab while / trying to cure the anomalies of / life and living. Yes, of course, poems must / be

--Sukany 21 June 2011
    Velvet F

"The Inspirational Stuff"  This poem's format is intentional.  It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins. Empty Re: "The Inspirational Stuff" This poem's format is intentional. It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins.

Post  Velvet F Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:52 pm

The Inspirational Stuff

Archibald MacLeish is right, a poem should- / n't be mean. Meaning, the meaning should be / right there, on the surface, leach deep into / the recesses of the lines (between them / or among them or, better, amongst). Peo- / ple or a person, preferably dead-- / to escape the realities of fail- / ures, sins, shortcomings, and acne--skillful- / ly smeared with words that we make out but nev- / er use, unless in the heat of Scrabble / or crossword or Sudoku-- help us know / more about us, ourselves, them, or cats and / how special they are and unique, except / when compared to most other domestic- / cated beast, eating what nature provides / and not what is enhanced in the lab while / trying to cure the anomalies of / life and living. Yes, of course, poems must / be

I understand what you are doing but it is REALLY hard to read! I do like the word association/word play, especially at the beginning and end. It seems to go off on a tangent about the cats. Maybe that's another poem.
    Velvet
    tsukany
    tsukany

"The Inspirational Stuff"  This poem's format is intentional.  It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins. Empty The inspirational stuff

Post  tsukany Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Velvet, True. I am playing on the intent and "mean"-ing of the quote. I am trying to be contrary and difficult. Is irony not clear? I don't consider this a "contest poem" in any universe. Smile

I guess we're all that's writing this month. I'll offer more on your poem tomorrow, if that's alright. Smile

Thanks for your input. Keep it coming.

Here's the version BEFORE the "slash" embedding.

Inspirational Stuff

Archibald MacLeish is right, a poem should-
    n't be mean. Meaning,
    the meaning should be
    right there, on the surface, leach deep into
    the recesses of the lines (between them
    or among them or, better, amongst). Peo-
    ple or a person, preferably dead--
    to escape the realities of fail-
    ures, sins, shortcomings, and acne--skillful-
    ly smeared with words that we make out but nev-
    er use, unless in the heat of Scrabble
    or crossword or Sudoku--help us know
    more about us, ourselves, them, or cats and
    how special they are and unique, except
    when compared to most other domestic-
    cated beast, eating what nature provides
    and not what is enhanced in the lab while
    trying to cure the anomalies of
    life and living. Yes,
    of course, poems must
    be
    Velvet F

"The Inspirational Stuff"  This poem's format is intentional.  It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins. Empty Re: "The Inspirational Stuff" This poem's format is intentional. It should "flow" with different font sizes and margins.

Post  Velvet F Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Well, that does make it easier to read!
    The last time I talked to Nancy her computer was in the shop. So that may be why we haven't heard from her.
    You are welcome to add comments on my poems anytime! (I will be out of town July 7-16 [San Diego - woohoo] but should have access to a computer at least part of the time.)
    Most readers are probably too young and the "Ralph and Alice" line won't evoke an image. Those are the names of the husband and wife in the old "Honeymooners" TV show with Jackie Gleason. (See how old I am!)
    Velvet

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm